Cochin with a pea comb?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Goose and Fig, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have no idea where this came from. My best (darkest) splash roo has always had a strange looking comb. After some research I realized it's a pea comb. Does this mean I'll have to take him out of my breeding pen? (BTW he's about 4 months old)
    Sorry this one is blurry-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Sometimes freaky things can pop when breeding. If you don't care about passing on this very undesirable trait, then keep him.. if you're planning on breeding toward the standard or selling eggs, ditch him. [​IMG]

3. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Oh that blows! He's sooo sweet. Maybe I'll put him with a frizzle EE and see what we get [​IMG]

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I wouldn't ditch him just yet.....

You may want to think about starting up a blue Brahma with him! [​IMG]

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    or cross him and see if any pea combed offspring throw blue eggs! Woot! I would have FUN with him before I would send him down the road.

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I agree with the blue brahmas. Also he looks more splash, if so try to find some black brahma hens or even black cochins with hatchery type (Like normal tails and such) and breed him to them. Blue brahmas would be popular.

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I just noticed that you said he is a splash, not a blue, lol. Did he come from your birds or what?

8. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    I would start a brahma project [​IMG]

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    i have a half cochin x ameraucana pullet that looks like him i LOVE him but im starting to work w/ feather legged EE's

10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I got him from Thom Dean in MO. He has gorgeous birds- and all of my other ones from him are just right for what I want to do. I did think about the brahma idea too- where could I get a black one?

I guess I could do the EE at the same time. Frizzle or not frizzle....hmmmm.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by