Cochins-Bantam & Std - How high can they fly/jump?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by country, Dec 28, 2008.

1. country

country Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Lincoln, CA
    I recently got some young bantam Cochins & put them in a playpen with some Silkies about the same age. The next time I came out to check on them, the Cochins flew up & perched on the top of the pen to greet me. It was really cute but it also presents a problem. During the summer I like to make moveable Silkie pens out of circles of wire. The 24" height works fine for the Silkies but obviously isn't going to contain the little Cochins. What height will I need for them? Also, might be getting some standards. I was hoping they would be too heavy to fly but now I'm wondering. What height wire will they require? Also, recommended roost height for each, or do they prefer to bundle like the Silkies?
    Thanks
    Country

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    My bantam cochin flew up abut 5 feet. Since they dont have tails, they can fly much much better than a regular chicken. i would suggest you keep them covered. I know your systm, i do the same, it would be hard to cover.

3. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I've seen my standard cochin fly as high as 4'. They -as you probably know- fly higher when they are still young and weigh less. If you really want them contained, you might consider a top for your pens.

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Bantam cochins will jump around 6 inches higher than you want them to. [​IMG]

Mine will go over a 4 foot fence easily. I imagine they could do another foot, or maybe more if motivated. A covered pen is always best, especially to keep predators out.

5. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    hmm mine have never been able to fly very well at all mine couldnt even get on their roost. Hmm good luck!

6. miss mandolin

miss mandolin New Egg

Jul 16, 2012
    I have 2 baby cochins. One is 12 weeks old the other is 9 weeks old. I watched the 9 week old baby fly 15 ft high up into our treehouse today then from there onto the roof of our house. So needless to say we are also putting a roof on our chicken run area

7. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    My bantam cochin rooster can fly pretty well. I've seen him fly up about 6 feet high. He loves to fly up on top of the chicken pen door and crow.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  8. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    well I dont have cochins but I highly recommend a top for your pen espeicially for those two breeds because from what I understand and not very good at avoiding hawks

9. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    I have five bantam cochins, four hens and a rooster. He can fly fairly well, but the hens seem to struggle to make the roost which is about 3' off the ground. I have one hen that will frequently fly to the top of the feeder then to the roost. They are cool chickens.

10. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I've found that if you clip a wing from a young age, they'll be less inclined to fly as adults. They probably think they can't and so give up trying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by