Cochins vs. Silkies Who's the Better Broody?

silkies i have 4 setting right now
lol.png

Quote:
Hi! I bet that's a sight to see. I have some not-quite-bright broody Silkies and wouldn't give them eggs, some act a bit brighter. If it was a 'got to' decision between one or the other, I'd chose Cochins (but CochinxSilkie crosses are better broodies for me).
smile.png

Lisa

I agree totally about the crosses being excellent setters. It's been my experience that whether it be silkie or cochin the higher quality birds do not do a very good job. But there are always exceptions.
Quote:
Hi! I bet that's a sight to see. I have some not-quite-bright broody Silkies and wouldn't give them eggs, some act a bit brighter. If it was a 'got to' decision between one or the other, I'd chose Cochins (but CochinxSilkie crosses are better broodies for me).
smile.png

Lisa

I dont exactly think its a breed vs breed kind of thing. You must look at the individual chicken. One silkie might be a great setter and another silkie might be horrible. Same goes for cochins or any other breed.

I think Cochins are I Have a barred Cochin Hen who hatched out 2 nn 2 Wayndottes and 2 cochins none where hers and she was mad as a hornet when we took them and is still mad and picks us when we go to feed her. We Have silkies and silkie x Cochins . As far as broody goes it's Cochins , Silkie X Cochin , and way down the list the Silkie. I love all my birds though , Broody or not
smile.png

I started with Silkies before I made the switch to all Bantam Cochins. Some of the Silkies were great, but I have to go with the COCHINS.

(Although my Cockatiel is equally impressive - finally had to remove her nest altogether!)

score: Cochins:10 Silkie: 9 i started this because i need broody hens and i want the best ones i have four silkies but they havent gone broody for me...

have you let them accumulate eggs for a couple of days ? and provided a quiet spot for them. the broodiest things on our place are the frizzles
38899_100_0574.jpg

can you find the beak ?

Cochins, I've had two excellent broodies from this breed but never had silkie hens so a bit biased! cochins are more intelligent in my opinion though so perhaps this also counts!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom