Cockateils Thread- Albino-Pearl-Pastel-Silver and so MUCH MORE!!!!

OMG I think this is the meanest cockatiel ever alive. He hisses he bites but steps up. He tries to attack the girl and for some reason she layed her first egg tried to eat it but now is sitting on it. I am confused. The female i had for a year. And just got the male 3 days ago. I think hes still pretty young but very aggresive. The boy doesnt even let you pet him and even brings his head all the way around just to bite you. He chases the female and she runs away he attacks her by biting. I cant return him. I left the cages side by side hoping they may bond or something. This is just terrible what should i do.

Sorry to hear that your new one is having a difficult adjustment. My son adopted a male from a friend that was not giving him enough attention. In 3 years, they never finger trained him and he was terrified to come out of his cage. It has been over 6 months now, and Rodney (the bird) is completely bonded with my son. He will sit on his finger and let his head be rubbed a little, but it took 6 months to reach this point. Rodney will hiss and is scared of the rest of our family, even though we all visit and whistle with him.

So I think it may just take some time before you can expect him to feel at home in his new surroundings. He is probably quite scared and being defensive. All the books we read said to go very slowly when adopting an older cockatiel.

As for getting along with your female, it might never happen. From what I've read, they can be like people. Some pairs hit it off and it's love at first sight and others fight like cats and dogs. I think most are probably somewhere in between. If you keep the cages side by side, that is great, but it may take several weeks (or even months) before they are ready to be together. If they have to remain in separate cages, at least they will have company near. I move Rodney next to the parakeets' cage to have some companionship when my son is at school. They chatter at each other - very cute!

So give him some time, don't rush him too much. It will probably take longer than you expect.

Don't know much about females and egg laying, but if you want some info, I could help you research.

Good luck!
frow.gif

The male now sits on the females cage but im afraid he might hurt her if i let him in it seems hes bonding fast with me and ill give the couple a few more time to try.

Wow, that was fast if they're already sharing a cage. Great! Maybe she just needs a bit more time to warm up to him. If she's been living in the cage by herself, he is invading her territory and it will take a while to get used to sharing.

I dont know they eat together and all and she has 2 dunt eggs in the nesting box but they seem cold and i dont usually see her go inside. The male never even stepped foot inside. I have also found out ehy hes so scared and aggrsive of people. My friend his owner used to smack and hurt this poor animal. He neglected it and didnt bother to even care for it. The tiel became afraid of everything and hes afraid of a persons hands he wont let you pet him. Poor thing. I think i know why he was neglected. My friend got him when he was young and when new cockatiel comes home they are scared bite and what not. They are afraid and just need time. My friend isnt patient and wanted the tiel to love him the first day. And because the tiel didnt he'd hurt the poor bird. And being hurt at such a tender age the tiel is so afraid of everything and really doenst know what trust or affection is. Poor thing but no matter what i will still love him. My female i got her she has bad legs trouble gripping and so forth. I loved her just because she was herself. And she loves me back full heartedly. She lets me touch the nest box reach to check the eggs under her. And will even come out the box when i call her. She is a true blessing and so will be the male in time.

I think the male is truly lucky to have been adopted by you. You have saved him from what would have been a very miserable lonely life. Warms my heart to think of how much you care for your pets and all the love and attention you shower on the them. You are doing a wonderful thing!
highfive.gif

Thankyou I bet your pets love you as much as you love them. Ill be going off line but feel free to write whats on your mind. God bless.
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
I bet when they see you they cant stop dancing in joy.

Last edited:
I went to the pet store today and saw a beutiful little yellow parakeet and I saw the price....... $5
ep.gif
ITS MINE i thought. And so i bought it. Im not sure if its a girl or a boy but its still really cute. Its not hand tamed but I will tame it. I think ill name it lemon due to it being entirley yellow.

Back
Top Bottom