Cockatiel and not being by the Kitchen

Get a male and a female. They'll prefer It that way( like humans). :D

The fan won't be any harm to them. Just don't have it facing them because they won't be able to get out of the way of it.

I'd suggest finding a breeder as some pet stores don't have a jolly clue about what they're selling.

Night light will be fine

I'm guessing for a decent cage and accessories plus the birds your going to be looking at around $150-200(I'm from England so I don't really know the exchange rate) .

All I can say is that you'll never regret getting them. you'll love them! You may even want to breed them one day!

Get a male and a female. They'll prefer It that way( like humans). :D

The fan won't be any harm to them. Just don't have it facing them because they won't be able to get out of the way of it.

I'd suggest finding a breeder as some pet stores don't have a jolly clue about what they're selling.

Night light will be fine

I'm guessing for a decent cage and accessories plus the birds your going to be looking at around $150-200(I'm from England so I don't really know the exchange rate) .

All I can say is that you'll never regret getting them. you'll love them! You may even want to breed them one day!
Thank you!!! Wouldnt female and male have ya know babies 😂. I'll ask my friend who has 4 of them all different genders and ask her some questions haha. And I will look for a breeder hopefully will find one !

Thank you!!! Wouldnt female and male have ya know babies 😂. I'll ask my friend who has 4 of them all different genders and ask her some questions haha. And I will look for a breeder hopefully will find one !
They will only have babies if there is a suitable place for them to lay eggs and get away from everything. It's not likely to happen. I had a nest box in my outdoor aviary for 3 years and they never layed a single egg.

It depends on what you want in a pet as to which bird would be a better fit. Budgie males will chatter constantly (which I find annoying but some people love) whereas cockatiels have times when they are noisy, and times when they snooze. They tend to be most active morning and late afternoon. I think they are quieter creatures overall.

Budgies don't usually like to be touched but they are very cute and very active. They come in quite a variety of colours too. Cockatiels generally love to be scritched and they can be quite demanding about getting their scritches. Both girls and boys can be very snuggly and most will be happy just hanging out on your shoulder. Some of our boys give kisses and dance too. What I have learned from hand rearing many baby cockatiels is that they are all absolutely their own little individual personality.

Our boys are happy coming out of their cage for about an hour a day and they actually want to go back to the safety and comfort of their cage once they've had their playtime and scritches. So I don't think they are a particularly demanding pet. We often stop by the cage to talk to them, bring them treats and scritch them through the bars too.

I think indoor birds need to have their wings trimmed so that they cannot fly for their safety. There are just so many hazards indoors (stoves, pots of boiling water on the stove, heaters, toilets, open windows and doors etc), though if you are just keeping them in one room then you could let them fly (just cover windows and mirrors so they don't fly into them and make sure no one else in the family will open the door of your room while your bird is out).

Both types of birds are rather messy critters and they do produce a lot of dander from their feathers, a fine dust that settles on everything. But when you love your birds you don't care.

Do lots of searches online to find out as much information as you can about both species and different peoples opinions about them as pets as they are both quite different creatures. Budgies can live up to 12 years so they too are a longterm commitment.

It depends on what you want in a pet as to which bird would be a better fit. Budgie males will chatter constantly (which I find annoying but some people love) whereas cockatiels have times when they are noisy, and times when they snooze. They tend to be most active morning and late afternoon. I think they are quieter creatures overall.

Budgies don't usually like to be touched but they are very cute and very active. They come in quite a variety of colours too. Cockatiels generally love to be scritched and they can be quite demanding about getting their scritches. Both girls and boys can be very snuggly and most will be happy just hanging out on your shoulder. Some of our boys give kisses and dance too. What I have learned from hand rearing many baby cockatiels is that they are all absolutely their own little individual personality.

Our boys are happy coming out of their cage for about an hour a day and they actually want to go back to the safety and comfort of their cage once they've had their playtime and scritches. So I don't think they are a particularly demanding pet. We often stop by the cage to talk to them, bring them treats and scritch them through the bars too.

I think indoor birds need to have their wings trimmed so that they cannot fly for their safety. There are just so many hazards indoors (stoves, pots of boiling water on the stove, heaters, toilets, open windows and doors etc), though if you are just keeping them in one room then you could let them fly (just cover windows and mirrors so they don't fly into them and make sure no one else in the family will open the door of your room while your bird is out).

Both types of birds are rather messy critters and they do produce a lot of dander from their feathers, a fine dust that settles on everything. But when you love your birds you don't care.

Do lots of searches online to find out as much information as you can about both species and different peoples opinions about them as pets as they are both quite different creatures. Budgies can live up to 12 years so they too are a longterm commitment.
Thank you!!!Parakeets need a smaller cage than cockatiels because the cockatiels are a but bigger. I wont rush into anything until I absolutley know I want one. Or i may wait until i have my own place to have a sperate room for them. This was very helpful. My room is already "dusty" so more dust wont be a problem. I do like the fact that I can get one cockatiel and not have 2 parakeets for a beginner but I will figure something out. 😊

They can live in small cages.
Actually, no bird can live in a small cage. But if your definition of a small cage just means smaller than what a cockatiel needs, then yes. Budgies also need smaller bar spacing than what cockatiels can live in

Idk cause petsmart treats some of there animals badly so most birds there are "aggresive".
This is not accurate. Petsmart goes to great pains to take exemplary care of their animals, because they are in the public spotlight, and subject to harassment by animal rights groups. It’s the small “mom and pop” pet stores that you have to examine to see if they are doing right by their birds.
But you do have to be able to tell young babies from older teenagers. Places like Petsmart will not be able to help you with that.
If you do decide to get just one then I'd suggest putting a small mirror in the cage just to give him/her something to talk to and play with.
Quite the opposite! If you have just one budgie, and he has a mirror, it will drive him crazy and cause behavioral problems because the mirror will not interact with him like another live bird would. It will frustrate him, or at the least, cause him to develop an unhealthy obsession with the mirror-bird.

If you want your budgie to bond with you, don’t give him a friend, whether live or mirror-friend. You be his friend. It’s ok if you’re gone at school during the day. Give him plenty of attention before and after, and he will learn the routine. Daytime while you are away will become his nap time.
I am going to be training my self with the perfume I put on in the morning.
I don’t quite understand this statement, but if you get a bird, you might as well throw away all your perfume. Because you should never wear perfume around birds. And since he will be in your room, well, he’s got you going and coming.
You won’t want to spray anything at all in your room. Including hairspray, air freshener, cleaning supplies, just to name a few.
My room is already "dusty" so more dust wont be a problem. I do like the fact that I can get one cockatiel and not have 2 parakeets for a beginner
Oh ho ho! Never underestimate a cockatiel’s ability to make dust! You may think your room is dusty now, but wait until it is double or triple that! Believe me, you WILL notice the difference. Of course, that doesn’t mean it will be a problem for you. Many people manage their cockatiels’ dust just fine. (I am personally glad that I don’t have to deal with cockatiel dust any more.)

And I already addressed that you don’t have to have two budgies. In fact, when customers tell me they want two, I usually counsel them to stagger getting them, so that they have a chance to tame the first one as a single. Then after they are used to owning it, they can evaluate whether they truly want a second one or not.

Actually, no bird can live in a small cage. But if your definition of a small cage just means smaller than what a cockatiel needs, then yes. Budgies also need smaller bar spacing than what cockatiels can live in

This is not accurate. Petsmart goes to great pains to take exemplary care of their animals, because they are in the public spotlight, and subject to harassment by animal rights groups. It’s the small “mom and pop” pet stores that you have to examine to see if they are doing right by their birds.
But you do have to be able to tell young babies from older teenagers. Places like Petsmart will not be able to help you with that.
Quite the opposite! If you have just one budgie, and he has a mirror, it will drive him crazy and cause behavioral problems because the mirror will not interact with him like another live bird would. It will frustrate him, or at the least, cause him to develop an unhealthy obsession with the mirror-bird.

If you want your budgie to bond with you, don’t give him a friend, whether live or mirror-friend. You be his friend. It’s ok if you’re gone at school during the day. Give him plenty of attention before and after, and he will learn the routine. Daytime while you are away will become his nap time.
I don’t quite understand this statement, but if you get a bird, you might as well throw away all your perfume. Because you should never wear perfume around birds. And since he will be in your room, well, he’s got you going and coming.
You won’t want to spray anything at all in your room. Including hairspray, air freshener, cleaning supplies, just to name a few.

Oh ho ho! Never underestimate a cockatiel’s ability to make dust! You may think your room is dusty now, but wait until it is double or triple that! Believe me, you WILL notice the difference. Of course, that doesn’t mean it will be a problem for you. Many people manage their cockatiels’ dust just fine. (I am personally glad that I don’t have to deal with cockatiel dust any more.)

And I already addressed that you don’t have to have two budgies. In fact, when customers tell me they want two, I usually counsel them to stagger getting them, so that they have a chance to tame the first one as a single. Then after they are used to owning it, they can evaluate whether they truly want a second one or not.
1. Yes I was talking about the cage being smaller than what a cockateil may have
2. I've heard about petsmart being not a good place to get animals but never evaluated it. I'm afraid the bird may be sick or not like human contact or may have another bird friend that if I separate them one will be depressed. I will go to petsmart and just look at the parakeets and think about it but I've been looking at the breeders and well pricey is what you can say
3. If you say 1 is okay with me then few thank you because I was stressing about 2 because I may not give enough attention to 2 but 1 I can handle.
4. Mirror yes I know I can agitate them
5. I have chickens so yes I know what kind of dust a bird can give. I'm going to be cleaning everyday with the bird so hopefully not to much dust. (I'm going to be getting a desk dust vaccum, for any seeds or anything the paper lining pullout bottom can collect.
6. So I've been looking and I found this place near me that has birds for rescue and guess what you can foster a bird and they will provide everything for you. So if I cant adopt a bird, ide love to foster one to find his/her forever home.

Budgies and parakeets are the same thing but the ones I'm talking about are the ones pet stores would normally have like idk blue, green and purple those ones I would say.

Actually, parakeet is a very general term. Budgerigars (or budgies) are a type of parakeet (parakeets are any small to medium sized parrots with long tails), but budgies are generally just called parakeets in the USA.

Back
Top Bottom