Cockatiel died in my hands !

Chicken Woman

Incredible Egg
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
Montana
Do any of you have a cockatiel that lays eggs. I have a cockatiel and a parakeet in the cage together. The parakeet is about 2 and cockatiel is about 3.

I have had both parakeets and cockateels in the past but they never layed eggs !
idunno.gif

Can they lay eggs without being fertilized like my hens ?
idunno.gif

Could they breed ?

I keep finding a little egg in the bottom of the cage and I think it's to big for the parakeet to lay.

I don't know the sex of either one of them but IM assuming at least one of them is female huh ?
idunno.gif

This happens about once a month or so. Weird !
idunno.gif

IM getting ready to put a nest box in there and see what they do ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes a female cockatiel can lay eggs with/without a male cockatiel...same as a chicken. Both of mine did. I ended up selling them both to a reputable breeder because they were laying eggs so often.

We had one that would lay 4 or 5 eggs and set on them, screeching at any of the parakeets that would come near! She was the only cockatiel in the cage, so there was no way they were fertile! It was just wishful thinking I guess!
smile.png

Budgies can lay surprisingly large eggs for their size. Look @ the colored part of the nostrils, usually males are bluish, females beigish. Yes, they do lay without a male & will guard quite vigorously. It is easier on them to lay the clutch & sit on it till they get out of broody cycle. Takes a lot out of them to lay eggs all the time. My daughter has a sun conure that mumbles & laughs to her eggs in the middle of the night! J

A budgie egg is as small as a little marble a cockatiel egg is almost as large as a pigeon egg. It might be the size of a dove egg.

Cockatiels and budgies ( parakkets) are both from australia but the species are so different that there will be no babies from that union. The eggs will be infertile. cockatiels aren't like laying hens though. YOu want to curb her egg laying. Cockatiels lose calcium too quickly. Give her a 14 hour night and a 10 hour day. This might chill her hormones out a bit. Good luck!

My cockatiel (Princess) died last night in my hands.
hit.gif

She has been laying almost 3 times a week for 2 weeks. I covered her cage but did not stop the egg laying. My vet said there was nothing I could do besides that. I guess she just depleted herself of all nutrients. Now my budgie is all alone and seems to be looking for her.
hu.gif
My budgie has lanvander on the top of beak so I guess is a boy.

Oh no!! I'm sorry! Male budgies have a bright blue cere, sometimes with a purple tint. Females have a dark brown one, so I would say it either is a male or is young. How old is the budgie?

Back
Top Bottom