Cockatiel questions

Chickem707

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
I may get a cockatiel or two, are the better in pairs or by themselves? I’d like the bird to be quite friendly with me, but when I’m away (max 8 hours a day) I don’t want it to get bored. With it be better to get two? Or maybe get one and another species?
Cage wise, would two of these back to back suffice?
I do have an aviary, but people have said it isn’t really suitable for cockatiels, but would it benefit one to spend a few minutes outside in there with me if the weather is warm?
Any advice is appreciated, thanks
(Pics are of potential cage and my existing aviary)(quail currently occupy the aviary)

Attachments

• 131C95D2-0419-4701-9DAE-D1B0EF665759.png
    131C95D2-0419-4701-9DAE-D1B0EF665759.png
    654.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 0D667FB0-9A1E-409C-A779-C8870EA02082.jpeg
    0D667FB0-9A1E-409C-A779-C8870EA02082.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
If you want your cockatiel to be tame, get one that’s been hand raised and get it just as it’s finished weaning. Get only one. If you get 2 they will bond with each other and not need you for friendship. The cage is huge for a cockatiel. I leave my birds out of their cages all day. I would just take the cage outdoors rather than use an aviary for such a small bird. Place the cage near a window so the bird can see outside or turn tv onto a cartoon or nature channel.

That looks like a nice cage. Cockatiels like to flap their wings while holding on to their perch. A large cage that is wider than tall is nice. They will spend a lot of the time on the highest perch, or the bottom and not much in between, if that makes sense? Your aviary would be ok for an hour or 2 if you were with them watching them, because they can chew through the small chicken wire very quickly. My parrot has chewed electric cords while I left the room for "just a minute" when she was out! They do love to be out of the cage and ranging around the ground, or the floor.

That looks like a nice cage. Cockatiels like to flap their wings while holding on to their perch. A large cage that is wider than tall is nice. They will spend a lot of the time on the highest perch, or the bottom and not much in between, if that makes sense? Your aviary would be ok for an hour or 2 if you were with them watching them, because they can chew through the small chicken wire very quickly. My parrot has chewed electric cords while I left the room for "just a minute" when she was out! They do love to be out of the cage and ranging around the ground, or the floor.
Yeah that’s what i mean, I would just take them outside for a bit under my supervision. The cockatiel would likely always be out in my room when i am there.

If i were to just get one, then should i get another bird of another species? As I would like the cockatiel to bond with me but also to not be bored when I’m not there, is that possible?

Yeah that’s what i mean, I would just take them outside for a bit under my supervision. The cockatiel would likely always be out in my room when i am there.
Before letting them on the floor, look around the area carefully. They love to chew the woodwork, any electrical cords or furniture that is wood, need to be removed or covered in some way. They have powerful parrot beaks, and can destroy wood quickly. I give them a safe place in a "corral" made out of boxes from Costco! They like to be out on top of the cage when you are in the room, high up where they can see everything.

If i were to just get one, then should i get another bird of another species? As I would like the cockatiel to bond with me but also to not be bored when I’m not there, is that possible?
I have not had them bond to another species. One parakeet died because the cockatiels would not let him eat. He was a found bird someone gave us and we put him in with the 'tiels because we did not have an extra cage. Bad decision. I think if you got one, and made friends, and he seemed lonely after ~6months, then you might get another one. But, be careful, even another cockatiel might be resented -- taking the first one's food and your attention. Best to have 2 cages for that, and you might not have room in your room. Bird math applies to parrots, not just chickens! Getting 2 from the same flock would let them share a cage from the beginning. Here is a double cage sort of like one I used to have when I bred cockatiels:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JBT13U6/?tag=backy-20

I have not had them bond to another species. One parakeet died because the cockatiels would not let him eat. He was a found bird someone gave us and we put him in with the 'tiels because we did not have an extra cage. Bad decision. I think if you got one, and made friends, and he seemed lonely after ~6months, then you might get another one. But, be careful, even another cockatiel might be resented -- taking the first one's food and your attention. Best to have 2 cages for that, and you might not have room in your room. Bird math applies to parrots, not just chickens! Getting 2 from the same flock would let them share a cage from the beginning. Here is a double cage sort of like one I used to have when I bred cockatiels:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JBT13U6/?tag=backy-20
Thanks!!

I have several cockatiels and other parrots as well and my well bonded cockatiels are still that. It may not always be the case though. The best advice is to get a handled baby from a reputable person and tame the bird well. Then add another cockatiel after a year or so if you want a second and work with both, bonding to both birds but also allowing them to interact with each other. They are flock animals and prefer to be in groups instead of single however they do better as single birds than budgies do for example.

The cage pictured is a nice size. You want a nice size cage like that at least 18/20 inches deep and at least 29 inches wide. Height isn’t as important as width and depth but a tall cage gives more options for decorations with perches and toys. Make sure the bar spacing is suitable for very small birds.

I don’t think I’d use that aviary for a cockatiel because it could be unsafe for such a small bird.

If you want your cockatiel to be tame, get one that’s been hand raised and get it just as it’s finished weaning. Get only one. If you get 2 they will bond with each other and not need you for friendship. The cage is huge for a cockatiel. I leave my birds out of their cages all day. I would just take the cage outdoors rather than use an aviary for such a small bird. Place the cage near a window so the bird can see outside or turn tv onto a cartoon or nature channel.
This is outdated advice. I recommend cockatiels be kept in pairs always. Get two hand reared birds. They will still be your friend and very loving but will also entertain themselves. One kept singly is very demanding and needs a home where someone is never away more tjan an hour or two at a time to be content. And they will use as much space as you can provide. An aviary is absolutely ideal but yours is not predator proof so if only let them out supervised. Ideally something at least 3 feet wide and tall if they live in the house. They're big very active birds.

They bond readily to anything and anyone as babies and I have had one paired to a dove, two with a budgie and several with other cockatiel. As long as they have a bird friend they're happy. After about one year of age they may not accept a friend of another species well. But they really need anotber bird in the house to thrive imo.

All mine have been hand raised and kept with other birds. If they were tame when I got them they stayed that way no matter what

Back
Top Bottom