Cockeral or Pullet? And Rooster Pacing.

zappa_sun

Chirping
Feb 20, 2022
Bakersfield, CA
Hello everyone! I have one chicken that is a little over 4 months old now. I can tell all the rest of the flock, but the red and black one is tricky. I'm leaning towards rooster, but no crowing and no other rooster tenancies. So... rooster or hen. Please help!
Also, on a side note one of my roosters has taken to pacing the run every evening. Is this a boredom thing? A excited thing? Evenings are when I go out to top off feed, check water and give any treats I may have. He's usually the first to run and get the treats. But tonight I didn't have any treats and he got mad and held down one of the hens (no blood). Or something else I should watch out for? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20220527_185041.jpg
    20220527_185041.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220527_185048.jpg
    20220527_185048.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220527_185059.jpg
    20220527_185059.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 4
Hello everyone! I have one chicken that is a little over 4 months old now. I can tell all the rest of the flock, but the red and black one is tricky. I'm leaning towards rooster, but no crowing and no other rooster tenancies. So... rooster or hen. Please help!
Also, on a side note one of my roosters has taken to pacing the run every evening. Is this a boredom thing? A excited thing? Evenings are when I go out to top off feed, check water and give any treats I may have. He's usually the first to run and get the treats. But tonight I didn't have any treats and he got mad and held down one of the hens (no blood). Or something else I should watch out for? Thank you in advance!
Definitely rooster but he must be a chill one if he doesnt crow

Yes it is a cockerel for sure. The other males may be keeping him from crowing or maybe it's just his personality.

As far as the pacing rooster goes, I doubt he was mad about not getting treats. Perhaps it was a failed attempt to mate with the hen?

Yes it is a cockerel for sure. The other males may be keeping him from crowing or maybe it's just his personality.

As far as the pacing rooster goes, I doubt he was mad about not getting treats. Perhaps it was a failed attempt to mate with the hen?
Thank you! He has been pretty cool so far, so I guess we'll see if his personality changes.
The other rooster (pacing) is a spitfire and may be destined for the pot of he's already showing such aggression. Especially if he's going to hurt the girls. Thank you for your insight.

Back
Top Bottom