Cockerel aggression - what are my chances?

i agree with everyone above. this bird is dangerous, and will most likely only get worse. Your pullets don't deserve this! And his human aggression is no joke, and send him back, with full disclosure.
Next spring you could get two or three pullets, maybe, although your four will be very comfortable in that coop, crowding it may be another story.
Getting one pullet to add will be a difficult introduction now, just enjoy the birds you have, and see about spring.
Mary

That's a good point actually - thanks for bringing it up.
The other birds don't live super far away but definitely a wilder and differently. I was worried about different parasites but immunity is definitely something to consider.

I'd be getting my hen's sister but I doubt they'd remember each other so that wouldn't really matter.

-----------

I've been reading BantyChooks' article "A Viewpoint on Managing Roosters" and wondering what I could do and where I went wrong. But he takes up a huge chunk of the time I have for chickens.

Above all ... remember having chickens is supposed to be FUN!!!!! Without a doubt, it's a lot of work... but it's supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing.

Above all ... remember having chickens is supposed to be FUN!!!!! Without a doubt, it's a lot of work... but it's supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing.
That's it - the pullets are so friendly and easy to look after. It's enjoyable. The cockerel is like that Simpsons episode where Homer gets that lobster he named Pinchy.

Here's another question: has anyone else encountered a cockerel that gets extra aggressive at a certain time of day? Say late afternoon or evening?

They do what they do! When we let our birds out to free range, whatever time it is, there's a lot of mating, and attempted mating. Then right at dusk, when everyone is coming in to roost, much the same things are going on.
I don't keep any cockerels who behave badly!
Mary

I don't keep any cockerels who behave badly!
Mary
That is very reasonable and decisive!

I've sent a message to the place this guy came from. Waiting to hear back.
I've been finding in the meantime he often behaves far worse in the evening starting around 6:30 pm or so. Like an overtired child acting out. And trying to bite me. 🙄

The comments on here have made me feel so much better
I recently bought a Rhode Island Rooster
Hand reared and from someone who advertised how nice he was
I have never owned a rooster before
He came in a cardboard box on the pet bus
He was very handsome and must have been relieved to get out
I put him in with my Orpington and shavers and they looked happy to see him
He was out of the run when I arrived next morning to feed them so I opened the gate to let him back in with the hens
You would think he would be pleased 🙄 but he flew at me and attacked my leg !! Wow it hurt ☹️ every day after that he seemed to be waiting for me and viciously attacked me
my son in law re homed him in the end advising that he was protective of his hens and needed an experienced handler
Anyway all this is to ask you experienced chicken owners plz ,Are All Roosters Aggresive like this ?🥺👀🥴

Back
Top Bottom