Cockerel attacking new POL

Samtul

Chirping
Jun 15, 2019
Hi,
I have 7 mixed hens and one young Polish cockerel (18 month) I got 4 new POL hens around a week ago, one which didn't look too healthy. Had them in a separate run next to other run. Let them free range together after a couple of days, a few pecks from my ex battery hens, but nothing too bad. I put them all in together overnight on the 6th night. When I went to check on them in the morning, the cockerel was standing over the weaker new hen. It's neck was bent back, a few wounds, and lots of feathers around. I took the new hen away, but it died a couple of hours later😥 Let the rest out to free range.
I wasn't sure it was the cockerel that had attacked it because he's always been so placid. This morning, I went to check on them, the new hens were still in the house, everyone else was out in the run. I watched for a bit, one new hen came out cockerel puffed himself up and aggressively chased it caught it a few times, really pecked it until it ran back into the house. He wasn't trying to mate it. Let them out to free range, although new hens are still huddled together in house, scared to come out.
Any ideas what to do? I have this smaller run I can separate off from bigger run, I could put cockerel in for a few days? The breeder did offer me another hen, but I cant cope with that at the moment!
Thanks Sam

Hi,
I have 7 mixed hens and one young Polish cockerel (18 month) I got 4 new POL hens around a week ago, one which didn't look too healthy. Had them in a separate run next to other run. Let them free range together after a couple of days, a few pecks from my ex battery hens, but nothing too bad. I put them all in together overnight on the 6th night. When I went to check on them in the morning, the cockerel was standing over the weaker new hen. It's neck was bent back, a few wounds, and lots of feathers around. I took the new hen away, but it died a couple of hours later😥 Let the rest out to free range.
I wasn't sure it was the cockerel that had attacked it because he's always been so placid. This morning, I went to check on them, the new hens were still in the house, everyone else was out in the run. I watched for a bit, one new hen came out cockerel puffed himself up and aggressively chased it caught it a few times, really pecked it until it ran back into the house. He wasn't trying to mate it. Let them out to free range, although new hens are still huddled together in house, scared to come out.
Any ideas what to do? I have this smaller run I can separate off from bigger run, I could put cockerel in for a few days? The breeder did offer me another hen, but I cant cope with that at the moment!
Thanks Sam
Accepting a pullet that didn't look too healthy was probably not the best idea.
As was not quarantining the new pullets. But that ship has sailed.

I hope that the pullet that was attacked and died didn't have a communicable disease. It is a sad occurrence but not unusual for chickens to attack an ill bird. I saw my own flock attack and ostracize a pullet that had a very strange cancer that affected her head.

As for your cockerel's behavior with the rest of the pullets, he isn't ready to just accept them into his flock. Normally, after a 30 day quarantine period, the new birds are kept in a "look don't touch" arrangement so everyone can get to know each other a bit for about a week. Then the new birds are let out to explore for a bit before releasing the original flock. This works well when there is plenty of space, places to hide, multiple food and water stations and other things to do. It takes time.

At the point you are at now, I would put the cockerel in a large crate inside the coop for a few days and see if the new pullets can intermingle with the original flock. If they get along well enough, let the cockerel out after several days of relatively peaceful cohabitation. True integration won't happen until the pullets are laying.

Hi,
Thanks Sam

You are going to need to isolate the cockerel and hope that the pullets can easily befriend your previous hens.
It's funny, my polish are not at all aggressive but then you can't tell by the breed.

The cockerel may have had a hormonal change and picked on the weak ill pullet.

So sorry for your loss, and welcome by the way.

You are going to need to isolate the cockerel and hope that the pullets can easily befriend your previous hens.
It's funny, my polish are not at all aggressive but then you can't tell by the breed.

The cockerel may have had a hormonal change and picked on the weak ill pullet.

So sorry for your loss, and welcome by the way.
Thanks for your reply. He's normally such a softy, so I was really surprised he attacked the new hens. But I'll isolate him for a few days in the run and hopefully that will help.

Well, I locked him in a cage inside the hen run, for 5 days. New hens get on totally fine with original hens.
He's just the same corners them, and just really aggressive continually pecks them. I have a hen house with a smallish run, that they are in at night, free range through the day. I've been going out at first light, to watch him, the young ones hide in the house. He'll go in cause chaos chase one out then corner it. So I've been letting them out to free range, earlier than normal so they can escape. Anyway, will try putting him in a cage again, will keep him in for a week, unless there is any other suggestions?

18 months, he's been lovely until now, we had him from a chick. I've actually put him in a smaller run next to the main run. I'll keep him in for a week or so, then try him again, if he's still bad, he'll have to stay in there for a couple of month until they are fully grown.

Back
Top Bottom