Cockerel Behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hmkeea, Mar 11, 2015.

1. hmkeea

hmkeea Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2015
    Michigan
    First time chicken owner! I have a Barred Rock chick that just by his behavior and the way he walks around the box, this chick has what I would best describe as chicken swagger! This chick just exudes confidence in the way it walks. He's about 3 weeks old, very slow to feather, still barely there tail feathers, and his wings are just now starting to feather out. He keeps his posture upright, is very inquisitive, always looking around, stopping, listening. I realize it could end up a bossy female, but my question is, do roosters typically display different behavior, even as chicks? I've already named him J, and either way, male or female, Ive grown to favor him/her, so it's a keeper!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sometimes those more confident chicks and up being boys, sometimes not.
    Your barred rock should be fairly easy to sex. I believe the females have a dark wash down their legs, and I think the males have a big white head spot? Anyway, as they feather out, the females will have tighter barring, making their plumage appear darker. The males will have looser barring, making them appear more white and grey instead of black and white :)

3. WildWestChick

WildWestChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    Yes some male chicks are quite bossy, challenging other chicks and chest bumping. They also will stand and walk more upright than females. If you could post a pic it would be easier to see if it's a male...barred rock Roos are lighter than females since they carry 2 barring genes.

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

5. hmkeea

hmkeea Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2015
    Michigan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Im not sure I did the quote part right, Im just learning how to navigate through this...but this is the chick in question. He is not a single chick. There are 11 others, but I can see how my wording would have led one to think that. I have two barred rocks that I know for sure are pullets, and they are definitely darker than this one. For whatever reason, like this one a lot. He isn't mean or anything, doesn't pick on the others at all. Not at all aggressive that I have observed. He seems to pay more attention, like his wheels are always turning.

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Yeah, I see what you mean about the pose, lol, very pronounced. Mostly in my experience birds stuck in high alert mode only become trouble as adults, but of course there's a chance that might not happen. Good luck with it. The eye doesn't look mean, most mean chooks show a nasty look in their eye, as weird as that may sound to some.

I'm no expert on sexing BRs but don't see anything particularly male about this one.

You might find some answers in these threads if you're willing to do some 'wading' lol, lots of opinions, but seems that hatchery BRs are very hard to sex by color, pattern, spots, shanks, feathering, you name it, compared to heritage bred ones. Where you got this bird would influence sexing by any of those methods.
    Quote: Normally I find BRs exhibit a lot more size and coloration of comb at that age and younger if male, they seem to be one of those breeds that colors up and develops quickly.

Best wishes.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Looks like a pullet to me :)

8. LuLu68

LuLu68 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    Kilgore, Tx
    Looks like a female to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by