Cockerel Blue or Blue Splash?

Heidi

Songster
12 Years
Mar 18, 2007
Northwest Michigan
Here is "Little Boy Blue" who I plan on keeping out of my speckledhen hatch. The more I look at him I'm thinking he's splash, but I'm not for sure what qualifies as splash. What do you think??

LittleBoyBlueandBlackCockerel.jpg

Pretty boy! Heidi, he's blue. From a black roo over blue hen, the only colors you can get are blues and black. The blues will vary in colors tones, though, so that's what you're seeing in this boy. A splash would be basically white/cream with a dark accent feather here and there.

Thanks - I didn't know that. Good info to keep for the future. He really is a sweetie too. He likes to untie my shoes when I'm in the shed filling feeders and changing water.

I love the temperaments of these birds, I really do. I may be hatching some more in April from Cree lines that are not related to Charlotte or her daughter Gypsy. Might just keep a cockerel, too, but that remains to be seen.

He is blue, just a poor specimen as far as color goes. (sorry)

I would not keep him, but if you are just keeping him to raise your own birds and have no plans to get into serious breeding he will work.

Back
Top Bottom