Cockerel bullying guineas!

RollingForkMeadows

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 6, 2010
Minnesota
I heard it was the other way around! - that guinea bother roosters, and hens. I have been raising this smallish flock since they were about a week or two old. Turns out I have two baby roos/ cockerels. 9 pullets. 6 guinea fowl.
They are all about 7 weeks old.

Just yesterday the Rhode Island Red/Orpington cockerel started getting aggressive with the guinea. He pecks at their heads and makes them cower. It almost looks as if he's trying to mate with them. They're all sharing a large indoor coop in a big barn, and they roam outside a hole in the door to a large outdoor pen. I want to free range them soon but am scared, with hawks and coons around.

But WHY would this guy (I swear, he's had a cocky little attitude since two weeks old) go picking on the guinea?? I've seen him in a stand-off or two with a couple pullets also. But mostly he seems to be terrorizing the guinea. He didn't let them near the water today. Now they're running around in tight cowering circles with some scared pullets in the pen.

What can I do? I couldn't even find examples in a search online of this - only that guinea usually bully roosters!

Because they let him? Perhaps a little guinea-girl-power training is needed.
idunno.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Seriously, he is an early bloomer, and is trying to show dominance. They are letting him. Maybe they want a man around??

Last edited:
Oh do I feel a little silly. I just didn't think the guy would be so mature already! Well, he is quite sure of himself. Now I'm wondering if I should get a male guinea or two. Today they seem to have settled down a bit, getting along again. Thanks!
smile.png

Don't feel silly. It is weird. Those adult hens would normally be putting your little rooster in his place. They must just find him cute.

Back
Top Bottom