Cockerel Contest, Ends feb 1st 2019

B97CA5AC-F454-400D-8880-1A62186F0C83.jpeg
3980F8FA-FACB-4A78-A53C-0A5A750BB30B.jpeg
Name: Mr. Marans
Breed: Black Copper Marans
My least cuddly chicken so far, but also the softest feathers!

Name: Oliver
Breed: 1/2 Welsummer, 1/2 Cream Legbar (He was supposed to be an olive egger hen.)
Something about him: He is full of testosterone and crowed at only 2 weeks old!! He's very sweet to his ladies though. ☺

Attachments

• 20181220_174222.jpg
    20181220_174222.jpg
    735.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20181220_174223.jpg
    20181220_174223.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 16
OMG! Nugget and your daughter are soooo cute together!

How do you tell a Silkie is a roo if the feathers are all so narrow? It seems like pointed saddle feathers would have no contrast with body feathers in either males or females.

BTW, you might enjoy my Christmas present to myself. ...tho I guess you won't be getting any "nuggets" from Nugget...

image.png

Duke is truly regal and a gorgeous guy!

Mr. Marans is going to impressive and I hope he passes along the gene for loads of interesting eggs from all your hens.

Where in BC are you? I've been lucky enough to live in Vancouver, North Van and West Van at different times. I'm certifiably crazy about Vancouver and the parts of BC I've been to. Heaven on earth to be sure!!! We used to wish we could retire to BC but, foolishly, didn't buy property back in the 70s when we might have. Now, of course, we couldn't afford it...

Hawk really looks like he take command of his space. It's clear he's very young but the boy's got bearing!

I really love Oliver's barred hackle feathers. I hope his Cream Legbar genes come through and give you interesting eggs.

Where in BC are you? I've been lucky enough to live in Vancouver, North Van and West Van at different times. I'm certifiably crazy about Vancouver and the parts of BC I've been to. Heaven on earth to be sure!!!.

I grew up in North Vancouver, and the District of North Van, also lived in Squamish, the B.C. interior (south of Big White Ski resort in a small town that shall remain nameless for my reputations sake) returned to New Westminster, while working in West Van for 10 years. I’ve now “retired” to my husbands family farm on Saturna Island. If you’re ever in the area, it’s the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen, drop me a line, or come for the Canada Day Lamb BBQ, it’s spectacular!

OMG! Nugget and your daughter are soooo cute together!

How do you tell a Silkie is a roo if the feathers are all so narrow? It seems like pointed saddle feathers would have no contrast with body feathers in either males or females.

BTW, you might enjoy my Christmas present to myself. ...tho I guess you won't be getting any "nuggets" from Nugget...

View attachment 1641781

Duke is truly regal and a gorgeous guy!
Silkie Roosters have long hackle feathers which you can see in the picture. My pullet Silkie is literally just a fluffy butt lol. Silkie roosters also have a walnut comb. His walnut comb is how we new he was a cockerel. :)

I know Squamish well and remember it as a coffee and bathroom stop on the way to Whistler when all there was was a Tim Horton's and a McDonalds as well as in it's newer more developed state.

Saturna Island, however, is entirely new to me. I hope you'll enjoy island living with your chickens. Of course it's beautiful! What part of BC isn't? ;)

Our last home there was just above Horseshoe Bay right above and in sight of Whytecliff Park. We were near that exit from the Upper Level where they film all the car commercials -- those guys know a scenic spot when they see one! I'm happy to say I was aware enough to be grateful every day to be there!

Back
Top Bottom