Cockerel Dog Attacked, Won't Move Leg! Sprained/Broken???

CC Fluffy

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2017
Mojave, California USA
My young cockerel (Olive Egger) has been dog attacked. Looks fine overall. Minor cuts and bruises, some broken shafts. But he won't move his left leg too much. Felt his hips, joints and feet. Don't feel any breaks, leg is kind of loose. He is favouring his left, and lying down more on his left side. Not lying down a normal chicken way if that makes sense. He will grasp a little with his feet when touched. He's in shock, I think. Have him resting in our "patient" box in our house. Dark, quiet and cool. Gave him water with Vitamin B complex and electrolytes and some chick grower mash (his normal food).

Not sure what else to do for him. Would like to treat him at home, we are very rural and there are no vets around that deal with birds or farm animal sickness/injury. Hoping that we can help him recover. Worried about him.

Thanks in advance!!

Offer him some good treats...some scrambled egg, sardines, some mustard greens.
extra TLC for the hurt ones.

Odds are he has crush and puncture wounds. Later in particular prone to infection of the lethal kind. The behavior you describe indicates wounding not minor.
I really hope it's not :'( he is getting up some and 'talking' his eyes are alert. But not sure if he'll stay like that. If he does pull through, will these always be a problem for him?? Like will he just be weaker than the others sort of thing?

I would guess that yes he will always have a problem with his leg, but if he isn't x-rayed you will never know.

Do you let him live in pain or MAYBE heal or do you end his suffering.
It's up to you to make that choice, we can't make it for you but we can offer your advice.

Back
Top Bottom