Cockerel "harassing" the dogs?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Our cockerel named Tidbit is around 6-7 months old and has already been a timid boy. I assume he sees me as top 'rooster' so he stays as far as he can away from me whenever I'm out spending time with the flock or feeding them.
However recently he has started enticing the dogs to run at the fence separating them, scaring the birds. I've seen him do this a few times during the day.
The dogs kept getting scolded by my dad before I brought up what was making them do that.

Any ideas on why he's doing this?

Your dogs will bark at the chickens as chickens are prey and dogs are predators. Remove the rooster from the coop and see if the dogs continue to bark at your flock. If the dogs continue to bark at the flock the problem is the dogs and not the rooster. My dogs will bark and terrify the chickens through the fence, too. So I keep the dogs away from the coop so they will not attempt to dig their way to the chickens and kill them. Placing electric wire has also made my dogs rethink about terrorizing my chickens.

The dogs kept getting scolded by my dad before I brought up what was making them do that.

Any ideas on why he's doing this?
I have no idea what is going on with the rooster.

But no matter what the rooster is doing, if he is inside the fence, the dogs should NOT be running over and scaring the chickens. So it is reasonable to train the dogs not to do that.

If the rooster was outside the fence and attacking the dogs, then it might be reasonable for the dogs to defend themself from the rooster or scare him off. But you said there is a fence between the chickens and the dogs, so that is obviously not happening here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom