Pics
Aart's got some good questions, my best guess is the your cockerel is hitting puberty. You can try and wait him out and see if he mellows in 6-8 months. My past bad experience with human aggressive cockerels has taken me from the bleeding heart try to rehabilitate them camp into the cull at first sign of aggression camp. Last spring my cockerel turned rooster attack could have resulted in the loss of at least one eye. I was fortunate and only got spurred right between them. I have failed to rehabilitate a single cockerel who shows human aggression.

We too started with a jerk rooster, and defended ourselves from him way too long. Then, we tried the 'rehab' thing, which wasn't so successful. Then we'd go with 'three strikes and you're out'. Now, it's 'don't think bad thoughts, or you're gone!
Your boy doesn't sound good right now at all.
Something to consider; If you convince him that you personally aren't to be attacked, this won't apply to any other human. Each individual human has to somehow convince him too, and it can't be done.
Genetics plays a big role in this behavior, and that is something he can't change.
Mary

There are a lot of methods for reforming jerk roosters, and that's only one of them. Beekissed has an excellent article about managing such birds, and there are other articles here if you look them up. Once in a while a marginal bird may improve, at least for one person. @AllenK RGV 's story is something to consider; eyeballs are important, and can't be replaced!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom