Cockerel mating at 10 weeks old

Rebcop

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2019
I have a cockerel who has matured way ahead of all the other chicks. He grew feathers in no time, crowed at 6 weeks old and now he is mating the pullets at 10 weeks old. I have had to chase him off them several times. His behaviour really bothers me because they are still so young and I know they arent suppose to mature until 20 weeks ish. Should I get rid of him? Hes very sweet towards me, sitting on my shoulder, running to me when I come outside or get home, but my pullets health and wellbeing are important to me. I have other cockerels who are just as sweet and have not sexually matured yet. Advice appreciated please. And thank you

The other boys will likely mature soon, too. Try to find them a new home with some mature ladies, or be prepared to do them in. Boys mature much younger than the girls.
I have another who just started crowing last week too, but I was planning to get rid of him anyhow. I have four other cockerels and was waiting on them to mature to decide who was most protective and gentle before deciding who to keep. Are you saying get rid of all of the cockerels and get more in the spring?

Back
Top Bottom