Cockerel or pullet?

I vote all pullets.

Cockerels' combs tend to grow much bigger and redder before pullets their age. Our first cockerel, my husbands asked me "Why is that one's comb almost red?" Among the pullets, he stuck out because of it.

Also, while pullets the same age will have pretty much finished growing their feathers in, cockerels will start growing saddle feathers. Sometimes they start to grow at either side of the tail area or on the back just under the wings

One more thing that I've noticed is that they tend to not grow tail feathers as quickly as females. The problem with this is that there are some females that don't either, but with the other indicators, it helps.

I hope this helps. Cute girls btw. :)

Here are all of them together if you guys want to guess
She does seem to stick out, I would say she is a girl because I would listen to everyone else before me because most people have more experience. Just keep an eye on her. Looks like a roo to me buttttt like I said I am extremely inexperienced so listen to everyone else before me.

I'm saying rooster, I know this is different to everyone else but I'm saying roo because I had a BR that looked like that who ended up being a he but everyone thought was a she. Just keep an eye on her because I am not very experieced so I am likely wrong. Here's the thread I posted back when I was trying to figure out his gender https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...e-gender-of-these-guys.1412571/#post-23409921 (there's a rooster I was talking about before I got to the BR)
Then your barred rock wasn’t pure. Barred rocks have sex-linked coloring. The darker colored barring is the female coloring and the lighter, mostly white barring is the male coloring. This can get messy when you cross breed. I have a Turken cross that has the female barring but is a cockerel. Most likely, your bird was sired by a non barred male and hatched by a barred female. This causes a male chick to come out with a female barring and a female chick to be non barred. It’s complicated. But a pure BR will always go by the rule of mostly black females and mostly white males.

Then your barred rock wasn’t pure. Barred rocks have sex-linked coloring. The darker colored barring is the female coloring and the lighter, mostly white barring is the male coloring. This can get messy when you cross breed. I have a Turken cross that has the female barring but is a cockerel. Most likely, your bird was sired by a non barred male and hatched by a barred female. This causes a male chick to come out with a female barring and a female chick to be non barred. It’s complicated. But a pure BR will always go by the rule of mostly black females and mostly white males.
Really! I didn't know that! Thats really interesting. He always looked mostly white to me, maybe the pics made him look more black 🤷‍♀️ but I also wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't pure, the lady didn't watch her chickens and didn't know what she had, she was just trying to give away a bunch of chickens because of over crowding. Here is him now if anyone is curious
IMG_1354.jpg

Really! I didn't know that! Thats really interesting. He always looked mostly white to me, maybe the pics made him look more black 🤷‍♀️ but I also wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't pure, the lady didn't watch her chickens and didn't know what she had, she was just trying to give away a bunch of chickens because of over crowding. Here is him now if anyone is curious View attachment 2384707
Yeah that’s a female coloring. He’s a probably a mixed boi. Very pretty.
F77A4DF5-D554-4A64-B3CC-12F4CA3668E1.jpeg

This is actually a Dominique but the same rules apply. BR males dont usually have this fine of black barring (at least mine didn’t) but this is closer to what a BR cockerel would look like on the barring for visual comparison for the OP.

Yeah that’s a female coloring. He’s a probably a mixed boi. Very pretty.
View attachment 2384768
This is actually a Dominique but the same rules apply. BR males dont usually have this fine of black barring (at least mine didn’t) but this is closer to what a BR cockerel would look like on the barring for visual comparison for the OP.
Oh wow! Thats really interesting! Thanks I never knew that!

Back
Top Bottom