Cockerel or Pullet?

GimmeCake

Songster
6 Years
May 8, 2013
I understand it may not be 100% correct, but since the chicks at my hatchery are only a day old I feathered sexed them just to check for any huge differences in their feathers.

From my understanding this is a girl:

But what is this:

The first image is an EE. The second is a Java. Anyway, should I be concerned? Thanks in advanced!

Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure feather sexing only works with breeds that have been specifically bred so that you can feather sex....ie males have the slow growth feathers while the females have the faster growth feathers.

It does not work generally with just any breed.

EE's would be really hard as they are mixed heritage. Java's are a totally different breed than EE so both male and female would develop differently than the EE, so there would be no concern there it would be trying to compare apples to oranges.

There is a good sexing EE thread here on BYC. EE's can typically be sexed by their adult feather pattern at fairly young ages (by 8 to 10 weeks). https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included

Lady of McCamley

Quote: As far as I know that is generally correct, however I breed mongrels exclusively and find it holds true there too for the most part.

And maybe I'm missing something... But only rarely have I seen day-olds with such feathers. Some of my chicks hatch with feather quills already beginning to split to show wing feathers though. I like that trait, it means they'll be more likely to evade predators than non-winged siblings. The bush turkeys around here hatch with full wings already in place.

Only some breeds/strains can be feather sexed. I don't know if Easter Eggers and Javas can be feather sexed.

Back
Top Bottom