Cockerel rattling when breathing

Abriana

Spicy Sugar Cookie
7 Years
Apr 26, 2017
The moon
I have a cockerel named Sidra who my sister brought in tonight because he was breathing funny. It sounds like he has fluid in his lungs, when he breathes it rattles. I treated my whole flock for a respiratory issue a few months ago, but he was very young so I didn’t do him or his brother and sister (they were living separately at the time). I’ve had no other issues since the whole flock was treated. Is this a respiratory disease or something else? What should I do for treatment? I can go to a local farm store and buy something in the morning tomorrow.

What did you treat the flock with a few months ago? What symptoms did you see then? Chickens can get various respiratory diseases that include viruses, bacterial diseases, and fungus. Survivors are many times carriers. It sounds like he has mucus innhis airways. Does he have any sneezing, coughing, eye bubbles, or facial swelling? Antibiotics only treat bacterial diseases such as MG or coryza, and it is best to only treat ones that have symptoms.

What did you treat the flock with a few months ago? What symptoms did you see then? Chickens can get various respiratory diseases that include viruses, bacterial diseases, and fungus. Survivors are many times carriers. It sounds like he has mucus innhis airways. Does he have any sneezing, coughing, eye bubbles, or facial swelling? Antibiotics only treat bacterial diseases such as MG or coryza, and it is best to only treat ones that have symptoms.
I used this (I no longer have it though):
EEE46BB6-96BD-4CCD-B37C-4A075E2545DC.jpeg

I saw similar symptoms, rattling when breathing, and also sneezing but not the average sneeze. It was kind of dark when I heard him breathe this evening, but I held him this morning and didn’t see any of that, but I will check more thoroughly in the morning.

Since it helped before, you might want to treat this one. Are you in the US? It can be hard to find antibiotics in the US, unless you order them online for pigeons or get them from a vet.

Since it helped before, you might want to treat this one. Are you in the US? It can be hard to find antibiotics in the US, unless you order them online for pigeons or get them from a vet.
Ok I will do that. Yes I’m in the US, I did get this from a vet a few years ago. I don’t know where I’d find it again but I can look online like you said for pigeons, or maybe ask a few friends that have chickens if they happen to have some.

Back
Top Bottom