Cockerel/rooster order

Yeah, that’s what I thought! Anyway, I hope your roosters will be nicer than mine was! ❤️😅😂
Thank you! I mean everything is a possibility. Since I have nothing but time to harvest from my garden and make stuff out of things I'm allowed to lift(Surgical reasons) and sit and watch the birds(I feel retired and I'm 30). I'm going to continue to watch them. Hell I watched them for probably close to 3 hours today. Sat in the shade in the nice weather dogs(3) laying next to me if they weren't running and playing and nothing but silence with an occasional crow thrown out there. 😄

I'm aware the "magic number" is 1 roo to 10 hens. But at times that seems to be more or less a guideline than an actual rule.
Yes, that 'rule' is repeated ad nauseam and often misunderstood.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

Be ready with an enclosure or crate to separate troublesome birds.
When it goes bad it can happen fast.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

That is true!!!

I know a few people that had two roos with less hens than myself and the roosters got along just fine
I'm one of those; currently 3 roos, aged 2-4, with 7 hens and this year's chicks, and they all get along fine. As aart said, it really depends on their temperament. Being raised within the flock helps, as does lots of space. But I have had to cull an obnoxious roo before; he was raised in the flock just like the others, so it's partly genetics.
DSC00731.JPG

Your youngster may go through a jerk phase, in which case the RIR may step up to train him how to behave, or step aside for him; but unless they really hurt each other, I think it's helpful to have a dom and a sub.

So far my temperament of all my birds has been outstanding but now that the younger bird are getting closer to age(but not there yet) and luckily out of work due to a recent surgery. I've had a bunch if time to just sit and observe the flock as a whole and they seemingly are living in harmony even with the age difference of youngs around 16 weeks and seniors over a year. They mingle some but mostly keep separate. They're not bullied really much at all anymore except one leghorn that's still a bit mean but most is chase off...more of a get out of my bubble type of chase. No pecking or over aggressiveness. I am however seeing order disputes among the newcomers more now but again not aggressive just fluffed dancing.

Back
Top Bottom