Cockerel running pullets out of coop!!

ToniaM

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
First let me say my son lived next door got some chicks and I helped him and absolutely loved it! Which is what inspired me to have my own babies which are now 22 wks old. His are a bit older and have been laying for a few months.

He has moved away in order to have work during this crazy year, I will leave that there. but due to that I am now the chicken owner of his flock.

Hubby built a 12x60 fully enclosed run with a fence partition in the middle. We have above ground coops at each end of the run. This gave them time to get to know each other before integrating them completely. We also fenced in over half an acre where they also free range together. I let them out early In the mornings until they go in coop in the evenings.

My cockerel EE seems to be the boss of the run and the coop on my sons end, I leave the partition open once they are free ranging to have access to food and water. He runs some hens and pullets out of the coop when they go to the nesting boxes. He even lays in the nest sometimes!!

He is teenage hormonal and mounting or trying to mount the pullets. Is he controlling the coop and nesting boxes because of hormones? Should I force him out of the coop/run when he does this? He does spend some time free ranging but mainly hangs out in or near the run and coop area.

Forgot to mention the main hen he runs out is the one at the bottom of the pecking order in my sons flock, she is a little bantam. He seems to give her the hardest time when she tries to go lay an egg in the coop that is hers, not the coop that I have for my flock. Not sure that matters but thought I would mention it!

Back
Top Bottom