Cockerel sometimes pecks hand when I pick him up. Thoughts?

I never pick up my males except very occasionally off the roost to do health checks or to transfer them to another coop.

Or, when they're young, to evict them from the nests at night.

In fact, I rarely pick up a chicken at all other than for those reasons. :)
I see! I've had to evict young birds from nest boxes as well. They...sullied the boxes when they slept in them 😬

Your rooster in your pfp is very handsome by the way.

I'm dealing with a similar situation. I have two cockerels that are about 3 months old. Both are very friendly, one moreso than the other. However, recently the larger one has begun pecking me frequently when he gets near. He doesn't rear up or get nasty but now that he is older the pecks are starting to do damage.
Is there any way that I can deter or train away this behavior? Is it a sign of things to come? Thanks.

With pullets who peck me, I peck back, fast and hard enough to offend them; peckpeckpeck, until the bird moves away. Try that!
And i agree that unless this is a show bird, there's no reason to handle him except as mentioned already.
Also, 'friendly' in cockerels is often 'bold and fearless', and then 'maybe I can push this human around' as the hormones kick in. Here we like cockerels who move away as we walk through the flock, and who pay attention to their flock mates, not us. In a new flock without adult hens and/ or a rooster to teach them manners, and with a new owner, it seems like more cockerels develop bad behaviors, and the flock owner doesn't see what's happening until actual attacks occur.
This is a learning experience for those newbies!
Mary

Show no fear.
I pick up my roosters if I want, or if they want me to. Or they run off. My current rooster doesn't want to be picked up but is my shadow.

Never use a broom to push them off, and don't use your foot. That is a challenge to them, and is creating bad habits. Don't let young kids play chase with a rooster, that is teaching the rooster to be mean, and the kid will get hurt, and you will blame the rooster. It is all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

I think you might be on to something. I had been hand feeding mine before the hand pecking started. Haven't been pecked once since I stopped handling though :)
That's really interesting because I've always been under the impression that you want to build trust with your flock. I thought the best way to do that was heavy interaction and hand feeding.

I never hand feed my birds for the reasons discussed above. My rooster lets me pick him up, though he prefer I didn’t. He is quite tame and doesn’t mind being held once he is picked up. He isn’t afraid of me but definitely respects me. When I walk into the run he will move out of my way. He did go through a phase when he was a teenager that he would peck when I picked him up. After I pinned him down a few times, he stopped doing this.
He unfortunately has attacked a friend who was taking care of the birds for me when I was out of town. She was wearing flip-flops and a flowing dress so maybe this triggered him. No serious harm was done. Since then I ask people to wear pants and closed toe shoes when going out with my birds. I do not let small children around him though because I find this behavior unpredictable.

Back
Top Bottom