Cockerel to eat????

byronallo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 23, 2013
England.
I hatched some chicks coming up six months ago. I got seven chicks from 12 eggs, my first ever batch.

Out of 7 chicks I got 3 cocks, 3 hens and one died around 6/7 weeks old.

Me and my grandad split the chicks between us and I ended up with 1 cockerel and one hen. I can't keep cockerels in my area.

So, I was wondering would there be enough meat on my cockerel to eat? The breed is lavender Araucana (uk tailed breed), which I believe isn't a meat bird.

I'd love for someone to have him for free, he's a great looking bird, but can't seem to give him away.

Thanks in advance for any advice and information given.

I have processed many cockerels to eat and it doesn't matter if they are meat breeds or not - to me there is almost always value in eating them. I've even butchered bantams. What I do is skin, eviscerate, and then put the whole bird in the slow cooker on the low setting for 8-10 hours. At that point, the meat has literally fallen off the bones and all I need to do is pull the bones out, bag the meat, and use it in a casserole. Doing it that way, any amount of meat is worth it to me.

My concern is that this will leave you with just one lonely hen. They are such social creatures that she will not be very happy on her own - is there any way you can find her a companion or two?

Aww I already have 7 other hens to keep her company!

So you have to slow cool them? You can't roast them in the oven??

I personally have never enjoyed roast chicken that much, and with the little guys I think they dry out more perhaps. We eat a lot of casseroles, so doing it that way is what works for me.

He weighs 4lb 8oz and isn't 6months old yet.

I think with the weight and age it shouldn't be dry meat.

But I have never cooked a cockerel.

I have roasted my cockerels up to age 6 months and they have been fine. He definitely won't be as meaty as the chickens you get from the store but he will still have meat on his bones at that age and will taste amazing. Using a roasting bag will help to keep him moist when you cook him and help to make the meat more tender as well.

We had one last Sunday
This one I think or one of his Brothers
Not a huge amount of meat on him but enough for a roast and some decent soups.

The older they are the slower you should cook them seems to be the general rule
read this

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/cookingwheritagechicken.pdf

Or with older birds you could try as this guy suggests for rabbit boil them for two hours so all the meat falls off the bone then cover the meat in olive oil and store it like that in the fridge till you need it. the video is superb imho.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom