Cockerel to pullet ratio - Why was I so heavy on roos?

I store all my eggs in the fridge and aside from one hatch so far I've had more pullets than roos every time. In fact I've had so few roos I don't even get to choose which to keep or give away. I just managed to hatch a new black tailed buff jap roo when my first got killed. Aside from that one hatch which seems to have been 18 roos and 2 pullets all my other hatches have had no more than 50% roos and usually no more than 1 out of every 6.

Since the gender is determined before the egg even comes out of the hen no storage or incubation method is going to change the gender of a chick. You might manage to kill off one gender or the other but you'd still only impact the odds if you had lots of eggs not hatch. If you are having lots of eggs not hatch you have other problems to worry besides the gender of what does hatch. Now hens laying more of one gender or another because of environmental factors I could see somewhat happening. Lots of very different species can do that. If the difference was very noticeable though I would think someone would have come across it.

Really it does come down to chance. If you hatch enough eggs you should end up with 50/50 unless you are just plain unlucky.

Quote:
Now,hold it.The eggs didn't hatch yet,How do you know they are roosters.

A. 50/50 odds, and my hatches are usually heavy on roos.
B. I have 4 roos from the last hatch still in need of homes.
C. Never hurts to ask early.

You happy now, Fluffy?
big_smile.png
Please note, I didn't say they would ALL be roos.

Quote:
Now,hold it.The eggs didn't hatch yet,How do you know they are roosters.

A. 50/50 odds, and my hatches are usually heavy on roos.
B. I have 4 roos from the last hatch still in need of homes.
C. Never hurts to ask early.

You happy now, Fluffy?
big_smile.png
Please note, I didn't say they would ALL be roos.

The chicks inside the eggs will still be the same gender whether you're hatching them or not,right?The hen determines whether the chicks are roos or hens.The person (or chicken)that incubates the eggs has got nothing to do with it.
big_smile.png

Do you feel better now,ranchand?
celebrate.gif
Pleae note,I didn't say anything about ALL of them being roos either.
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom