Cockerel Uncomfortable With Floppy Comb. Is There A Fix (Besides Dubbing)?

Thanks, all. I'm thinking maybe have him partially dubbed to remove just the area that is touching his eye and face. I will talk to the vet and see what she suggests.

I couid do it myself but am concerned about having the most hygienic conditions possible. I have all of the equipment including plenty of wood ash.

junebuggena, I didn't realize he was a legbar! I've only seen legbar hens and pullets. Lol. Thought he was an "accidental mixed breed."

@apryl29 got any ideas?
Not that I can think of. Dubbing sounds like it's them more permanent solution for this problem. Odin's comb is very large but it's upright so I haven't had to deal with that. I do have a pullet with a floppy comb but it's much smaller.
If you're concerned about dubbing is it possible you could just trim off a portion of the comb that is getting into his eye? I'm not familiar with the process regarding how much is normally removed but I would think only taking a section would be easier than removing the bulk of the comb.

That's what I'm thinking, too. Just removing the portion that touches his eye and face. The reason why I was reluctant to try dubbing originally was that I thought it would require removing the entire comb. It hadn't occurred to me that I need only remove a fairly small piece.

Anyway, I appreciate your and everyone else's input. Thanks!

Not that I can think of. Dubbing sounds like it's them more permanent solution for this problem. Odin's comb is very large but it's upright so I haven't had to deal with that. I do have a pullet with a floppy comb but it's much smaller.
If you're concerned about dubbing is it possible you could just trim off a portion of the comb that is getting into his eye? I'm not familiar with the process regarding how much is normally removed but I would think only taking a section would be easier than removing the bulk of the comb.

Okay, I just watched a couple of dubbing videos and read some posts here on BYC of the process, and I know I can do it. I have the sharp, curved scissors, wood ash, alcohol, neosporin... those things are already in my tool kit. So, Leo is going to get a therapeutic dub. :) Will post a photo after he's healed.

Thanks again!

Do combs have many nerves in them, though? I am wondering whether this will require an application of topical anesthetic such as lidocaine. I want to minimize potential trauma.

Last edited:
I would suspect so because how could it not hurt? Although there are people who claim that frostbitten Combs and wattles don't hurt the bird and they're just how life is for them. Didn't somebody post on here that they've done thousands of dubbings? You might tag them and ask them for any tips.

Thanks. I watched a couple of dubbing videos on youtube, and anesthetic wasn't used. The birds scarcely made a sound! One video was of an old English game cockerel being dubbed, and the only squawk he made was when they pulled his wattles. But he didn't make a sound when being dubbed.

Cocks fight all the time, and their combs and wattles seem to be major targets in combat. My guess is that probably there are not a lot of nerves in them, or this would have been a serious liability, from an evolutionary standpoint.

Still, I can't imaging just cutting without using something to numb the tissue. I will use lidocaine as a topical and probably will let the cockerel stay outside for a while before dubbing so that the cold air causes enough vasoconstriction to reduce bleeding.

Thanks again, folks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom