cockerel with bad leg

SuziQ991

Songster
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
Missouri
1) What type of bird , age and weight. RIR 10 Weeks
2) What is the behavior, exactly. limping left leg warm
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma No .
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Do not know
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. chick starter
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? yogart, vitamins
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? myself
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use coop with pine shavings, outdoor run with grass

My cockerel had a slight limp a few days ago and has gotten worse. He has trouble balancing himself, so it is hard for him to stand up. He is eating and drinking well, he either lays down to eat or I hold it for him. His eyes look bright. The left leg is very warm to the touch. Nothing visible wrong with it, maybe slightly swollen. I have him crated in my house. I called the feed store I bought him from and they were not vacinated for Mareks. It seems that his left leg is the only problem. What are some other signs to look for in case it is Mareks? I have 6 pullets the same age and so far they are doing well. The middle "toenail" on both feet are very short like they were broke off. Not pulled off, there is a short nail left. Maybe he jumped up on the pen and got stuck in the wire?? So far I gave him vitamins, yogurt and acv in his water, a small amount of baby asprin and keeping him in a crate. Anything else I should be doing.
Thanks in advance for your help

It sounds like he has an infection in that leg ( saying its warm to the touch) is it around the joint. If so I think maybe he just landed wrong on it or like you said got his leg stuck. Try to get him to rest and let it heal sounds like you are doing a good job. Good Luck let us know how it goes

Back
Top Bottom