Cockerel with bad limp in both legs

asterisk

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2023
I have a little cockerel about 10 weeks old, and when I introduced him to our flock the chickens were pretty aggressive and charged him a few times. They got used to him eventually, but yesterday one attacked and he developed a limp in his left leg. I'm not sure exactly if it was from another chicken, or maybe he landed awkwardly when trying to roost or something else, but it didn't look great and he's been staying in a separate pen until recovery. He hobbled around a little, he was still able to put weight on the leg, but favored it. This morning he developed a limp in his other leg as well, and I'm scared that something is really wrong. Is he just tired and his right leg is strained from overuse, or is something worse making his legs hurt? It seemed like the pain in his left leg was at the hock but I'm unsure. There is no external indication of injury, no swelling, dislocation or damaged scales. I haven't given him any medication, but what can I give him to make the pain a little more manageable? Any information regarding what might be going on would be extremely appreciated! Hoping that my little guy makes a recovery, he's pretty special to me.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Is this 10 week old cockerel offspring from your own chickens? If not, he should be quarantined for 3-4 weeks so to not bring any diseases to your own flock.

But as you already let him in with your adult chickens, the quarantine now should be done for his own good in a secure cage within the coop/run, giving him time to heal and get aquainted with your flock while they will have time to get used to him.

Post some pictures of him and especially of his legs.

Hello! A ten week old cockerel would be easily overpowered by grown hens. Mine was scalped at that age. He was born and grew up in the flock.

I would confine him for awhile so he couldn't move around too much. I had a hen that injured her leg and I had to confine her for two months before she got better. I set her up in the run and then transferred her to the coop to sleep.

They got used to him eventually, but yesterday one attacked and he developed a limp in his left leg. I'm not sure exactly if it was from another chicken, or maybe he landed awkwardly when trying to roost or something else, but it didn't look great and he's been staying in a separate pen until recovery.
Sounds like he's probably injured.
I'd keep him contained within the run or near the others so they stay somewhat familiar with him.
Start him on vitamins - give 1/4 tablet B-Complex and see that he's eating his Chick Starter really well.

Photos of him or a video of his actions would be good. For video, upload to YouTube and provide a link.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Is this 10 week old cockerel offspring from your own chickens? If not, he should be quarantined for 3-4 weeks so to not bring any diseases to your own flock.

But as you already let him in with your adult chickens, the quarantine now should be done for his own good in a secure cage within the coop/run, giving him time to heal and get aquainted with your flock while they will have time to get used to him.

Post some pictures of him and especially of his legs.
Thank you! This guy hatched from one of our own chickens, but I think at least some kind of a quarantine would be a good idea. He's currently being kept separate from the others with his sister for company, they're a pretty close duo but tell me if you think I should take her out. Some good news: the right leg limp has seemingly disappeared, but I'll still monitor him. Apologies for the image quality, I attempted a gif, and if you'd like better leg pictures I'd be happy to take them. Thank you so much for the help!!

Last edited:
Hello! A ten week old cockerel would be easily overpowered by grown hens. Mine was scalped at that age. He was born and grew up in the flock.

I would confine him for awhile so he couldn't move around too much. I had a hen that injured her leg and I had to confine her for two months before she got better. I set her up in the run and then transferred her to the coop to sleep.
Hello! Thank you, it's good to know that they're still in danger at this age, growing up with the flock or not. I heard that 6-7 weeks was the ideal time to introduce, but we still waited until they were a little bigger. Funny enough, they've been pretty acceptive of our little pullet, letting her stay close and roost with them, but a little less so with this guy. Miraculously, very few feathers have been plucked. He's in a cozy enclosure currently, so hopefully he can lay low while he recovers 👍 thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Sounds like he's probably injured.
I'd keep him contained within the run or near the others so they stay somewhat familiar with him.
Start him on vitamins - give 1/4 tablet B-Complex and see that he's eating his Chick Starter really well.

Photos of him or a video of his actions would be good. For video, upload to YouTube and provide a link.
Thanks for the tips! I'll make sure the flock still remains accustomed to him.
He was taken off of the chick starter for a few days since he's been in the coop, could that have contributed to his injury? I have a gif of him posted here for reference if you need!

Feel his left leg right up to his hip: is it warmer or swollen near the joints?

I would keep him confined to a small area with feed and water near him as he should not move much to rest the leg.

His sister can share the space to keep him company.
Vitamins and scrambled eggs can help with healing and restore energy.

Feel his left leg right up to his hip: is it warmer or swollen near the joints?

I would keep him confined to a small area with feed and water near him as he should not move much to rest the leg.

His sister can share the space to keep him company.
Vitamins and scrambled eggs can help with healing and restore energy.
There's no swelling or heat in his left leg as compared to the other, he is pretty hot though. He has a pretty good resting set up, and I'll cook him some eggs right now!

Back
Top Bottom