Cockerels or Pullets?

posey

Songster
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Coastal NC
I know it's early to be trying to tell but ya'll know how that goes. The dark chick on the left is a Blue Marans and supposed to be a pullet same with the buff chick on the right. The Faverell on the ground is a pullet too and all are just a day or so short of 1 month old. The Faverells and Cochins not in this photo all have long tails and lots of feathers. But the Marans and the Buff Brahmas are slow growing out the feathers. All three of them have stockier legs than the cochins and faverells. So I'm worried that they are all cockerels. Any guesses?

Below is a photo of one of the Faverells (in the front). It's plumage is coming in MUCH darker than the other two and I am wondering if it too is a roo. The tail feathers are real short like the Brahmas and Marans above.

Any guesses?
Thanks,
Posey

I am not sure about the Marans but the Buff Brahma and the second Faverolles look like roos to me...The brahma is feathering in much like my roo did. My pullet is not quiet 4 weeks and is already almost fully feathered.

That's what I think too. In my experience the girls feather out much quicker than the boys. However, I know that Brahmas are slower to mature than other breeds. This will be frustrating if end up with 4 boys when they were all supposed to be pullets. I know to expect at least 1 miss on sexing but 4 out of 8 is pretty bad.

Can anyone else give me any hope that they are girls?

That is not a Marans.... it has yellow legs, Marans don't. The feathers are not right or the over all look. The slow feathering would make me think roo, but I have had some slow feathering pullets too.

I agree the Marans isn't a marans, and it isn't blue.

The favorelle could be a little roo.

Can't really help on the rest.

That is not a Marans.... it has yellow legs, Marans don't. The feathers are not right or the over all look. The slow feathering would make me think roo, but I have had some slow feathering pullets too.

No yellow legs on Marans? Oh no, I have no idea what it could be then. I was just in looking at them all and the dark one has the most lovely face up close. I was told it would be a Blue Marans pullet but then they all came from a hatchery, so who knows. I have been hatching out eggs with a Broody for the past year, I just love to watch that whole process but we needed some more girls so I tried a hatchery. If I end up with 4 roos out of 8 chicks from a hatchery I'm not going to be too happy. They are all so cute and sweet though.
Here is hoping for slow to mature girls.

Back
Top Bottom