Cockitiels and Quails?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Squirtchy2009, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    My best mates mums brother ( whos house i stayed at when i went on hols with my best mate) had quails in with finches and some strange loooking bird.

My cockitiel is getting a bit fat so i have decided to build him a avary in my shed which is rather large for him to flap his wings and get some exersise, i always wanted some quails and would like to know if keeping them at the bottom of the cage would be ok?

Taking into account my cockitiels poo, feed and ay other cockitiel related things that may effect the quails my only hope is to ask you guys what u think, surely if the can be kept with fintches they can be kept with quails.

Another problem is i have to remeber hes a parrot, so he has a pretty good personality, i wouldnt want to give him a heart attack or make him stop singing? [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I had someone that bought a pair of button (chinese painted) quail off me a month or so ago. They live in the same cage with her cockatiel and they are one big happy family [​IMG]

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    They should be just fine. I have them in with finches and bourkes they do just fine

4. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I really don't see why you could not have them in with 'teils. It is becoming quite popular here with a lot of parrot owners that I know that have large cages for their smaller birds. The quail clean up the mess the parrots make of their food. Good luck with your birds! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  5. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Thanks you've all made my day, glad to here i can [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. markbirds

markbirds Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2009
    Oh they do EXCELLENT with all kinds of domestic birds. I have them in all my avairies and do great and they will eat alot of the bugs that come from haveing an outside avairy.

7. mangos

mangos New Egg

Jun 28, 2010
    I have had a japanese quail in with my cockatiels and bourkes also kakarikkies for 12 months and they all get on fine in a avery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by