Coconut oil for my hens

USDA is doing a study on a coconut oil Fatty Acid (and testing a cinnamon oil compound too) and poutry.

Jul 01, 2012
End Date: Jun 30, 2017

Objective:
The objective of this cooperative research is to develop organic and sustainable production strategies that reduce pathogen colonization in poultry and livestock and improve production efficiency for farmers.

Approach:
We are focused on a comprehensive approach to reduce pathogen and disease sources in organic poultry production systems. Caprylic acid (CA) is a natural, fatty acid present in bovine milk and coconut oil, and is an FDA-approved food-grade compound. Trans-cinnamaldehyde (TC) is also a food-grade compound naturally present in cinnamon oil. Our preliminary research indicates that CA and TC are bactericidal on Salmonella and Campylobacter, highlighting the potential of CA and TC as new tools to control these pathogens in organic poultry. In addition treating birds and the litter with natural products such as these essential oils, probiotics and bacteriophage will also be assessed. National Organic Program compliance, education and outreach to farmers will be provided through NCAT publications and their website

In three years we may get government recommendations to feed poultry coconut oil!

Good morning,

I just scoop a bit out when the oil is solid and try to give each girl an equal amount. They really love it so that part can be tricky! I don't give too much to each hen... maybe a teaspoon size of solid oil. Hope it is enjoyed by your hens as much as it is by mine =)

I feed my girls oatmeal every morning. I use one cup of oats, 2 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Microwave it for 3 minutes and serve it to them in a metal pie plate once it cools. They absolutely love it! !!

Good morning =) I think I'd wait until they are a bit older. Perhaps once they are off of the crumbles and eating a wider range of things.

Hope they enjoy it as much as my girls did!

I start give my hen coconut oil in winter time so it was like soil white soft paste... I broken it into little pices like bread they just eat it and love it very much

I was going to use on their belly cos they bold... After lice attack... All clean n dust up after a month still nothing grow back but look dry... So I put some coconut oil on their skin hope it will help any one try??

I recently made a coconut oil seed ball for my wild birds and some broke off into the run below - approx 1lb. My ladies devoured it. I made another one about 1/2 lb and hung it for my 8 hens. They ate that too albeit slower than the first one. When is too much a bad thing?

Last edited:
Hello, I was wondering if my chickens could have coconut oil and if so then I would put it in their water. My dogs love it and I use it also. Have read that the coconut oil is a good wormer also.
Mine just started laying their small eggs and I love it. Love working with my ladies.

This sounds pretty cool!! I never thought of giving my chickens coconut oil. I put it on their combs when they get dry, but never thought to feed it to them. Is there some specific type of coconut oil to give them? I really want to try this!!

Back
Top Bottom