Coconut oil for my hens

Holy City Hens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Charleston, SC
Didn't know if anyone else had discovered how great coconut oil is for chickens. One of my girls (a black sex-link) got sick (eggs were breaking inside of her or coming out with a leathery shell) and the vet told me that she'd probably never lay a good egg again. I started to offer all of my girls a little bit of the oil (they LOVE it) and lo and behold, my hen who was sick now lays eggs! I also noticed that their new feathers had a rich, deep green color to them that I hadn't seen before they began with the oil.
I buy it at Whole Foods and use it on my skin and share it with my hens. Hope this info helps someone else
smile.png

Quote:
I'm intrested too, I use coconut oil everyday in my morning smoothie and also give it too my dogs but never thought of giving it too my chickens.

I went to visit my friend who lives in Kauai last spring-she has chickens. Her son broke open some fresh coconuts for them and they were some happy chickens!!!
tongue.png
I may see if my girls would like to try some of the coconut oil-so far they only like yogurt as a treat.

Hello fellow chicken lovers! Just wanted to reply to this thread. We have three beautiful hens that make us very happy, they are Silver Gray Dorkings. We have raised them since they were chicks and have a wonderful time taking care of them. After reading about coconut oil but not being able to find out the best way to feed it to them I gave it try a few minutes ago. I filled a little plastic container with the almost solid oil and offered it but they were a bit spooked by the unfamiliar container, they got close but would not peck at it, so I took some of the lose grain mix that we feed them as a treat and put it on top of the almost solid oil, it took a while but they really seem to like it. Because of the almost solid consistency of the product they were able to peck large gobs of it and really seem to enjoy it. Though we come here for information often I decide to join the community for our girls, Samantha, Monique and Anella. I will post pictures of them soon.

I am still not sure of how often I should give them the coconut oil, so if anyone has any ideas, please do tell us.

My girls love bananas so I ran the banana slices through coconut oil and they ate (or at least pecked at) them. They are so picky, like they don't want berries or greens, but sprouts and tomatoes are like crack for them, weird, I know. I have no reason to try to force them to eat something they don't like or want, their eggs are solid, smooth and regular, but I cannot help but think that coconut oil is a great way to add good fats to their diet. Just my two cents here.

Hi...I am new to raising chickens and was also amazed regarding coconut oil.
So I mixed up dry oatmeal about a cup and tablespoon of coconut oil. Mixed
It up with my hands and put on a paper plate. They loved it. Plan to add to daily diet...

Back
Top Bottom