Coconut oil for sour crop??

Yeah gave it to her in the fridge and broke it into bits she ate it in the morning but now she won’t budge. So that’s the only way? It’s not possible to give it to them in it’s liquid form in a piece of bread? If so then I’ll give it to her in chunks.
I am sure you could try - I have found opening their beak and popping in a chunk to be the easiest way - but if she will eat bread soaked with coconut oil that sounds fine.

I am sure you could try - I have found opening their beak and popping in a chunk to be the easiest way - but if she will eat bread soaked with coconut oil that sounds fine.
Yeah it’s hard to keep her beak open I have my mom helping me I hold her and she opens her beat and tries to put in her mouth and she flings it out of her mouth. So it’s safe to pop it in her throat so she doesn’t spit it?

Hi All,

I've heard of sour crop, not impacted crop. How does this happen, anyone know?
I prefer to be proactive & avoid issues, if at all possible. So, if anyone knows how these things happen, I'd be grateful to hear all about it.

Good Luck!

Thanks so much.

Hi All,

I've heard of sour crop, not impacted crop. How does this happen, anyone know?
I prefer to be proactive & avoid issues, if at all possible. So, if anyone knows how these things happen, I'd be grateful to hear all about it.

Good Luck!

Thanks so much.
i guess avoiding you chickens eating long grass and putting grit in their feed and thanks hopefully she recovers, other than her crop shes acting normal

i guess avoiding you chickens eating long grass and putting grit in their feed and thanks hopefully she recovers, other than her crop shes acting normal
Really?
I've seen videos where people bring in grass, soil, dandelions etc... to their brooder to get the chicks exposed to the elements. Also, seen them give chicks as early as 1 week old grit?

Yeah it’s lumpy but my coconut oil and it’s back to its white look so ima give her 2 teaspoons hope all goes well
Feed her frozen chunks of the coconut oil.
Mine usually love the taste of it.
I would not give bread if the crop is impacted, it would likely make the crop more doughy.
Do let her eat her normal feed or wet feed.

Impacted crop is when birds eat long strands of grass, hay, etc. and it gets bunched up and can't pass through the gizzard.

Provide adequate grit (crushed granite) free choice, not in the feed.

There's plenty of folks that give grass, dandelion, greens, etc. to chick(en)s and don't have any issues. If giving cut grass, provide it chopped or in short pieces. Greens, I either chop them finely or provide whole leaf so they have to nip pieces off. The problem most of the time is binding of long strands of material.
For chicks, provide chick grit (crushed granite). A pan of dirt from where they will be living is a good idea so they can become used to the pathogens found in the soil on which they will live. But I do recommend that you sprinkle some grit in the dirt.
And yes, as young as a week or less. Mama hens will take them off the nest about a day after hatch and begin foraging if they have the opportunity, so chicks learn to nip pieces of grass/greens, etc. The biggest problem is giving cut material that the bird just eats it whole, so it needs to be cut up more finely.
Really?
I've seen videos where people bring in grass, soil, dandelions etc... to their brooder to get the chicks exposed to the elements. Also, seen them give chicks as early as 1 week old grit?

There's plenty of folks that give grass, dandelion, greens, etc. to chick(en)s and don't have any issues. If giving cut grass, provide it chopped or in short pieces. Greens, I either chop them finely or provide whole leaf so they have to nip pieces off. The problem most of the time is binding of long strands of material.
For chicks, provide chick grit (crushed granite). A pan of dirt from where they will be living is a good idea so they can become used to the pathogens found in the soil on which they will live. But I do recommend that you sprinkle some grit in the dirt.
And yes, as young as a week or less. Mama hens will take them off the nest about a day after hatch and begin foraging if they have the opportunity, so chicks learn to nip pieces of grass/greens, etc. The biggest problem is giving cut material that the bird just eats it whole, so it needs to be cut up more finely.
Thank you!

I would not give bread if the crop is impacted, it would likely make the crop more doughy.

Impacted crop is when birds eat long strands of grass, hay, etc. and it gets bunched up and can't pass through the gizzard.

Damn it another one of my other chickens has a hard ball crop and did a poop like this any idea what it could be she ain’t making noise like she normally does.

Attachments

• BEDD1945-7833-4785-A841-9559A35C31BE.jpeg
    BEDD1945-7833-4785-A841-9559A35C31BE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Is it possible my other chicken has doughy crop? Gave her some coconut oil and it lost some of its mass and I can make her crop different shapes when I was massaging it

It's possble that the crop is doughy.
I'd check it first thing like you did the other one.

When is the last time you wormed your flock?

Crop problems may be a combination of the "categories" detailed in the article below. For instance, a slow/doughy and/or impacted crop can turn sour. I always use coconut oil when treating a crop, but you may need to step up your treatment to include for doughy/impacted, etc.
Do keep in mind that crop issues are often a symptom of an underlying condition.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom