Code Change? What can I do?

I wish you the best of luck with your hearing.

I'm also very interested in the process of getting a variance. I would love to hear what you have done.

And if you need a shoulder......

Process for getting a variance might be different in your county. I had to submit maps and drawings of proposed pens and housing (but only because of another issue which prevents us from building buildings or putting up fences, without that I would have been fine with the pens and buildings). A map of all the properties within 300 feet. Deeds for the property in question. My sewer tap permit since we are on a central sewer,otherwise we would have had to verify we had on-site waste disposal. Verification that the property has a well. I went to the planning and development department for the county to get the info. And the kicker, I had to also give them a check for $350. It is not a cheap process by any means.

Hi. All I Live In Coeurd Alene Idaho I Have .25 Lot Fenced, On May 18th I Purchased 3 Very Cute 4 Day Old Chicks, All Girls.approx May 30 Our Local Paper, Stated That Because The City Had A 20 Percent Increase In Inquiries Re; Keeeping Chickens From The Year Before The City Decieded To Reduce The Amount Of Birds You Can Keep. From Unlimited, To 3. I Just Redid A Shed To A Good Looking Coop. A Plan On A Hoop Run. The Folks On Both Side Think Its Neat To Have Chickens, One Helped Me Install A Window .JUST SAYN I WAS GOING TO SHOW U A PICTURE OF MY COOP,BUT REALIZED I CANT TRASFER FROM MY PHONE SORRY

Last edited:
Well, don't ask to have Muscovy ducks in the Darby Creek watershed. I got my paperwork today and the recomendation is that it all be denied.

Why?

For what reason?

BTW, it's been three weeks since I talked to code enforcement and was old to "sit tight. I'll get back to you." Haven't heard a thing from anybody......I'm almost afraid to call and check.

Because even though the regulations are on hold, posession and breeding of Muscovy ducks is still illegal. And God forbid you want to introduce an invasive creature into the Darby watershed.

Although dogs that crap huge piles and colonies of cats that decimate the wildlife are perfectly ok.

Committee recommendation is that all variance parts be denied.

IMO, keep quiet and hide the birds. I should have just cut back the numbers and done a better job of concealing the pen. Would have saved a load of money and I would have been able to keep the ducks.

Last edited:
I'm also in Olde Pickerington, and seriously considering getting a couple of chickens, as I don't want to support the brutal egg industry or pay $5 for dozen eggs without the added entertainment/nurturing aspect of the chickens - I already have a compost pile and a garden and my husband could easily build a coop, but I need more info on the zoning regs, variances, etc - what ended up happening with your chickens, Chillin?

-Keli
tongue.png

Got shot down.

Please join my FB group "Support Pet Hens in Pickerington: Pick Chicks!" http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=149801391704508

I'm
working on a blog now, too.

As soon as I have that up, I'll post a link. If enough of us join together, we can change things.

Here's my newbie blog: http://pickchicks.blogspot.com

I'm going to put the presentation - that I wasn't allowed to give to the committee - on the blog.

I need numbers and group/blog followers and people willing to stand up and demand change.

Last edited:
Going through a fight in Bellevue Nebraska right now. The only difference, we HAVE ordinances that support chickens in residential areas with NO specs on lot sizes. Except our City Planning and Code Enforcement is INGNORING the very laws they wrote! We go before city council 9/27/10 to discuss the matter further. Read our BYC post at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=377629 We are pretty sure a lawsuit is coming soon!! Our City has messed with the WRONG citizens!

Go to www.salemchickens.com for a wealth of information on getting laws changed!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom