Code Enforcement at my front door!

Leisa

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
I am brand new to chickens. We live in Eustis, Florida 30 minutes north of Orlando, and I thought I had done my homework about zoning. However after spending the last five days building a beautiful coop to complement our home and not be a nusiance to the neighbors, I was met with a complaint of building a non permitted structure.

The code enforcement man was very nice, and said the structure was not illegal or against code, and he would just "not mention it housed chickens". He had an anonymous complaint about building going on. We are county, but zoned R-2. County allows chickens but R-2 does not. We are not in the city and on 1/4 acre lots.

My question is what now?

If I try and fight it will be obvious we have chickens, but if I don't I will worry that they could be taken away at any time. I have 5 hens. 2- Easter eggers, and 3 barred rocks. The coop is 4x6 and the run 10x6.

My blog has pictures of our new coop
29044_camp_allegro_and_ckn_coop_100.jpg

I am just sick, and so will my hubby when I tell him he spent the last five days for naught.

Thanks
Leisa
http://thebeecharmers.blogspot.com/2009/04/our-new-coop.html

Last edited:
So what did the CE fellow say? Did he say you have to move/remove it, or will you just have to pay the building/permit fee retroactively? It may not mean that you automatically have to get rid of your girls...

That stinks. Some people have nothing better to do with their time. That is why I cant stand "most" people. I have no advice. Our laws here are different. We can build a stucture up to a certain amount of feet, I want to say 8x10. ANd as long as it is on blocks its not considered a permanent structure and therefore no permits were needed.
I hope someone who knows how to help can chime in.
And WELCOME TO BYC!!!

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this issue, especially now that you have everything in place already
hugs.gif
This is why its always best to look up all codes and ordanances as well as call all appropriate people before getting any type of livestock.

If you've already had complaints from neighbors due to building - then chances are they will complain again. If you can persuade the officials that these are not livestock but pets you may be able to win your argument. Look up all laws pertaining to "fowl" and livestock vs. pet classification.

Good luck to you and
welcome-byc.gif

if it's done, and you don't think it was someone that can see it just lay low for a few days. it could be the complaint came from someone that could only hear you working. they'll never know about the birds unless you have a rooster. if it's not done yet finish it with a screw gun and a handsaw. good luck.

First, find out if your new coop NEEDS a building permit--depending on your zoning and the particulars in how it's built, it may or may not.

Also, find out the process for getting a variance to keep your chickens--find out how often similar variances have been requested and approved or denied. Based upon that you can decide how to proceed.

Ok so you built a "play house" for your "kids" (they are
Your "kids" right?
big_smile.png

What's it to them?
I can't stand it when 1 or 2 people think they own the
Block, the city,YOUR world! People need to get a grip!

Good luck with it all
smile.png

Lori

The code enforcement officer said that I do not need any permits and he is closing the complaint as unfounded.

We are going to landscape around the run with some plumbagos if they are not poisonous. They get bushy and grow like crazy so that may hide some of it from view.

But no matter what the structure stays. Whether it is a chicken coop or a playhouse it is here to stay!

Now on to changing local ordinances. I guess I will be reading up on how others have accomplished this.

Leisa

In the interest of future peace, you may wish to find out who the friendly neighbor is who reported you. I suspect you will continue to have problems with this person/s, as they are already quite interested in what is going on in your yard.

Good luck, and always try to get those codes in writing if officials come out to your property. I have found that when pressed, my local officials are often unable to present documentation of supposed codes and ordinances.

Back
Top Bottom