Codependent Guineas?

M-rra

Hatching
Aug 13, 2017
Saxapahaw, NC
Hi all,

I'm a brand new guinea owner. I've had mine since May. They have been really great and easy but in the last couple of weeks they've been super codependent! They are free-range during the day and they had been staying relatively close to the coop and entertaining themselves. However, in the last two weeks they've been pacing back and forth along the fence line and then running down the side of it, squawking wildly. We got them to eat ticks and snakes on an acre in the back of our property that is wooded and grassy but they seem to have no interest in exploring in that direction--instead constantly walking towards the house. They are easily herded back but, it happens more and more everyday. This morning it's only 10:30 and I've already herded them four times. They are quiet and stay put when someone is sitting in the backyard near them. I find this very odd since everything I've read talks about how "wild" they are and how skittish around people. I'm hoping someone has some advice on how to get them to be less interested in the house and in company with people and more interested in bugs and snakes!
Thanks for any help,

Hi all,

I'm a brand new guinea owner. I've had mine since May. They have been really great and easy but in the last couple of weeks they've been super codependent! They are free-range during the day and they had been staying relatively close to the coop and entertaining themselves. However, in the last two weeks they've been pacing back and forth along the fence line and then running down the side of it, squawking wildly. We got them to eat ticks and snakes on an acre in the back of our property that is wooded and grassy but they seem to have no interest in exploring in that direction--instead constantly walking towards the house. They are easily herded back but, it happens more and more everyday. This morning it's only 10:30 and I've already herded them four times. They are quiet and stay put when someone is sitting in the backyard near them. I find this very odd since everything I've read talks about how "wild" they are and how skittish around people. I'm hoping someone has some advice on how to get them to be less interested in the house and in company with people and more interested in bugs and snakes!
Thanks for any help,
The only time that mine would really hang that close to the house would be during winter when there were no bugs or when there was a predator (like fox or coyote) hanging around. I'm wondering if you have some critter lurking around your property and the guineas are either sensing it or seeing it, especially with your description of being loud but quieting down when you are outside with them. What types of sounds are they making? Is it their normal calls or more of a frantic alarm type sound? Guineas are very good at detecting anything out of the ordinary and make great alarm systems!

Thanks so much for your response, guineapeeps. They do make those alarm calls occasionally but mostly they are quiet. There is one girl that "buckwheats" constantly and that lets me know where they are... Is it possible that I fed them too much initially and they are begging? They should be able to get most of their food free-ranging during the day, right? I feed them at night when I put them in the coop but, I used to feed them three times a day... Not sure if that was the best idea.

Thanks so much for your response, guineapeeps. They do make those alarm calls occasionally but mostly they are quiet. There is one girl that "buckwheats" constantly and that lets me know where they are... Is it possible that I fed them too much initially and they are begging? They should be able to get most of their food free-ranging during the day, right? I feed them at night when I put them in the coop but, I used to feed them three times a day... Not sure if that was the best idea.

I would just leave food out year around for my guineas, but they would definitely choose to free range over eating their food, so I wouldn't think that would be it. How many guineas do you have?. I noticed when I only had a few guineas, they were more likely to hang closer to the house. When I had a flock of around 10, they seemed to be more brave and venture further from the house.

That could be it then. I only have five.
I forgot to ask how old your guineas were? If they are young, they may just take awhile to really be brave enough to venture away from the coop much. My initial flock took awhile to really go out and free range. The first summer I had them, they spent their days hiding in the grass near the coop. By the following spring, when they were about a year old, they really started roaming and would only come back to the coop to roost at night. Hopefully, yours will do the same!

That sounds more promising! I am heartened. They are young and this is the first summer they've been alive. They also have only been roaming for a little under a month. All I need is patience, perhaps?

Mine were hatched in May too, and these are my first Guineas also. I heard all about the wild, untouchable guineas too. Mine are acting like yours hanging close to the house. Hope they mature into searching our entire property. This is them today, hanging out in a lawn chair, if they had cold drinks with little umbrellas they would be so happy.

Attachments

• 20170819_101708.jpg
    20170819_101708.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 15
Hahah. Ours were also on a lawn chair today. I wish I had taken a picture! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one and I hope they'll get more independent as they age. Although, it is super sweet that they feel safe near us :) <3

Back
Top Bottom