Princess Lay-a

Chirping
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Great Falls
I read about using coffee chaff instead of pine shavings on Mother Earth News
caf.gif
:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Happy-Homesteader/Coffee-Chaff-Chicken-Coop-Litter.aspx

I called our local roaster and picked up two bags that they were happy to get rid of. I dropped a few pans full in their brooder and watched the antics. This smells SOOO good! It's fluffier than pine shavings, so be ready for puffs of coffee chaff & smells to fly through the air. They went to town! They were dust bathing and now smell like mocha Java!
celebrate.gif

I'll give it a few days and see what "cons" there are. I did see some beans that they carried around, though no one was eating them. I wonder if when they are bigger and eat the beans and then lay eggs I would get my caffeine rush without drinking my coffee???
wee.gif
LOL!

I just went back in there and all I can smell is coffee!
droolin.gif
Such a treat compared to chicky funk! They are hunkered down and rolling in it. Like cats in cat nip....chicky java junkies??
hu.gif

Well, I'm GOING to try it - I found a coffee roasting company that has a list of folks who come get the chaff in 55 gallon barrel amounts, and they'll add my name to that list. Can't take small amounts, gotta take it in the huge, hunkin' container size. Now I just have to scramble my own container.......

Thanks SO much for posting this!!!

Is the smell overpowering, like would it be okay for freshly hatched chicks? I hate straw and shavings here are expensive, so maybe a possiblilty?

I so hope you guys can try this!
thumbsup.gif
Best of luck!
I think it's great to reuse something rather than it heading to a land fill. It'll be in my coop, then directly into the garden or composter. The roaster guy said he had chickens and I told him about this article, I think he may try it too!
wink.png
I find so many wonderful ideas at
bow.gif
Mother Earth News!!

Back
Top Bottom