They can be so funny that way anyhting they do not recognize must be awful right
They are funny that way! They still aren’t wild about it. But they do smell different which I enjoy but maybe they are off gassing and maybe i shouldn’t have put the whole bale in there. The old straw was just horribly dusty, I double masked and finally just scooped it slowly into old feed bags. The pitchfork into the wheelbarrow was really nasty! It’s a good thing I hoard feed sacks! :gig And now I have old straw to mulch the garden with over winter.

Go to shavings white ones no mold in them really freak them out but smelll much bettter and break down better here
I’ll prolly get them some straw before winter. A local guy will deliver a bale to your coop for $10. The bales are smaller than the feed store ones and actually work better for me cuz a whole big bale spoils before my birds trash it.

DD went to a yard sale Sunday---you could fill a box for $3--brought me home a "treasure". Tiny Mr Coffee machine. I said thanks (didnt need any new gadgets). Today I made a pot---just fills my large travel mug!!! perfect for my morning dose with no waste! Hubby doesn;t drink coffee, so I dump some every day

My favorite way to introduce new birds to the coop is to take all the birds out, clean the coop, add the new birds before the old birds. The old birds are confused and it takes them a while to catch on that they are in their environs. This method works particularly well if you have several new birds to add -- more is better -- as the numbers flummox the previous flock even more.

I know, I know... Not nice to mess with chicken brains.

Back
Top Bottom