Thank you, Sequel. I do miss them. Every time the feed room door opened they would gallop down and fuss at me until I brought them a treat.

Make sure those chickens keep things under control in the garden!
My garden is next to their compound. They got into the potato patch the other day and had so much fun I had to get the lawn rake out to get them to leave!

Morning all! Up with the chickens this morning. Second pot brewing. Help yourselves.

View attachment 3525402
Highs in the upper 80s here today. Only news from this part of Missouri is that I lost three of my pet roosters to a fox on Monday. Not too happy about that. They were good boys and liked to hang around the barn and orchard.

This fox came up either to the barn or to the orchard to take them. Both are close to the house so this animal is fearless. Needless to say, no free ranging for them. I had considered letting my hens out to free range but am now glad I didn't decide to go through with the plan.

My husband saw the fox running away from the kills it had left in a pile. Two were gone with only piles of feathers and a wing as evidence. The other bird was left behind dead. If we catch it around again it will have it's hide nailed to the wall.'

I really envy people who can safely free range their birds.
I gave up free ranging any birds, though we have lots of trees for cover. Just too many predators out there.
20230430_161014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom