Coffee grounds

It sounds to me like the birds might get into the composted coffee grounds not that Sandra was planning to feed them the grounds. Do you all find that your free range birds are pretty smart about the safety of their food choices. Mine are in runs, but I wonder if they know what to eat and what to avoid.

They will not eat coffee grounds. Used coffee grounds are not acid they are more in neutral in PH. Love to use them as a 14 day plan to help green up my garden/pasture. I use enought grounds to be pretty certain on this.

"The measured pH of used coffee grounds was 6.9, with a significant amount of buffer capacity - adding the coffee to either acidic or basic solutions drove both towards neutral pH. The exact pH of used grounds will depend on the pH and alkalinity of the water used in brewing, but with any potable water, used grounds will be close to neutral pH."

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/soil/2002015354019975.html

ML

Last edited:
Post-brewed coffee grounds are reported to be slightly to highly acidic, depending on the source, but no more so than peat moss. So, you could apply them to the soil for acid-loving plants, such as rhododendrons, azaleas and blueberries. They might even help keep your bigleaf hydrangeas blue.​

Back
Top Bottom