Coffee's ready...

I LOVE knotty pine! BEAUTIFUL! .... Wood Stove
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
How about offering me some advice ?
I want to do an addition to our living room. It has a fireplace, but it doesn't do a great job of heating the room.
What should I be looking for when I go fireplace or wood stove shopping for the future addition.
In North Florida, we don't use the fire place a lot, but it does get used. The one we have now is really meant more for decoration based on its performance thus far.

Morning Ace.
1st check your zoning laws and when completed, have it inspected (old smelly fireman here). I know around here, you can't attach the wood stove pipe to a fireplace or furnace chimney without first lining the chimney with a insulated stove pipe.
What is it you are looking for?
Hands down, wood stoves out preforms fire places. When not in use, a lot of heat escapes up the fire place chimney (even with the damper closed). I have seen people put like glass doors on the opening to reduce the air flow. There are also inserts that you can put in the fire place that helps extract heat (usually tubes with a fan attached).
Wood stoves come in many different shapes and sizes, depending on the square footage you want to heat and fire wood size. Also the material you want to burn. I would recommend one with fire bricks. Some come with a ceramic window so you can see the flames/coals.
Have you thought about a pellet stove?
I know one person (our neighbor) has a corn stove. I believe they are better at thermostat controlled heating. But I have know idea what would happen if the material from these stoves were left in the stoves for prolong periods of time without burning.
Let me know if I can bore you some more.
Kaj

Good morning! Excited to hve a day off, but gotta take my son to the dentist, then do a bit of landscaping at the rental propery. Math ace, both this house and the little rental (that I lived in before this house) have "florida fireplaces" - too small to be of much use. I had to have the liner put into the other house before I could use it, and the pieces had to be special ordered because the chimney was so narrow! The one in here is a little bigger, and it is nice to use on occasion.

The only thing I really don't care for on this new site is the breed review thing on the side, and that the adds take up so much space on the right, too. Otherwise, I'm getting the hang of it.

Show off - Ok how did you do this?????????????
ep.gif

I get my simlies from photobucket

http://photobucket.com/

At the web site, do a search for whatever you want BUT be aware that you will get two different sets of results depending on how you spell smilie. For example

simlie good morning vs. simley good morning

When you find the PERFECT emtioncon...

LEFT click the DIRECT link, That will copy the link

ON the BYC screen, in the reply window, on the editing bar - 5 icons to the LEFT of the smilie icon, you will see a picture icon for "insert image"
Left click the icon, Left click the Image URL, Right click into the Import URL box, PASTE the url, click SUBMIT

There is another way to do this that is easier, but I can't always get it to work. This longer way seems to always work.
Try it... when you get it working I will share the easier way with you
smile.png

Good morning chicken wranglers,
Oesdog,mathace Quercus,Chicks,Nice to see you all active and speaking over a cup of coffee.I worked a 15 hour day on Sat, worked 9 hours on Sunday,but I bought all my employees lunch on Sunday for going the extra mile for me.Anyway hop[e you all enjoyed your weekend since mine was splendid." the billig wiil be good".We actually repaired the mold that makes the biggest,"barr none",tire in the world".This tire is 13 feet tall and has a sidewall of about 9 or 10" thick. It is an awsome sight when you are standing on the ground next to it looking up; and realizing thast this thing goes on a truck and rolls!I also had to repair a slitting machinre that slices 3/4" thick plate steel like butter,that is an awsome machine also! It takes coils of steel and uncoils it flattens it and recoils it after it has been sliced into whatever widths that the order requires,That is a lot of power. Just watching the 3/4 " thich material uncoil is impressive.
You guys have a great day God Bless!

Morning Ace.
1st check your zoning laws and when completed, have it inspected (old smelly fireman here). I know around here, you can't attach the wood stove pipe to a fireplace or furnace chimney without first lining the chimney with a insulated stove pipe.
What is it you are looking for?
Hands down, wood stoves out preforms fire places. When not in use, a lot of heat escapes up the fire place chimney (even with the damper closed). I have seen people put like glass doors on the opening to reduce the air flow. There are also inserts that you can put in the fire place that helps extract heat (usually tubes with a fan attached).
Wood stoves come in many different shapes and sizes, depending on the square footage you want to heat and fire wood size. Also the material you want to burn. I would recommend one with fire bricks. Some come with a ceramic window so you can see the flames/coals.
Have you thought about a pellet stove?
I know one person (our neighbor) has a corn stove. I believe they are better at thermostat controlled heating. But I have know idea what would happen if the material from these stoves were left in the stoves for prolong periods of time without burning.
Let me know if I can bore you some more.
Kaj

This is NOT boring. I don't think there is a lot of expertise with wood stoves or fireplaces in Florida. You guys up North KNOW which products work because you have so much cold. We have been in the upper 20's low 30's three mornings in a row. By the end of this week, it will be back up to the 50's at night LOL

So, I need something that can do a good job heating my living room on the few extreme days that we see. The room is currently 15 x 30, has 10 ft ceilings and is open to the kitchen. When I do the addition... the living room will be around 25 x 30.

I definitely want to be able to see the flames. We do like to watch the fire
smile.png
Since we don't use the fireplace constantly, I like to be able to burn logs from the tree(s) we have had to cut down due to the summer storms... Kinda of recycle God's gifts - You know what I mean ? ?

This is NOT boring. I don't think there is a lot of expertise with wood stoves or fireplaces in Florida. You guys up North KNOW which products work because you have so much cold. We have been in the upper 20's low 30's three mornings in a row. By the end of this week, it will be back up to the 50's at night LOL

So, I need something that can do a good job heating my living room on the few extreme days that we see. The room is currently 15 x 30, has 10 ft ceilings and is open to the kitchen. When I do the addition... the living room will be around 25 x 30.

I definitely want to be able to see the flames. We do like to watch the fire
smile.png
Since we don't use the fireplace constantly, I like to be able to burn logs from the tree(s) we have had to cut down due to the summer storms... Kinda of recycle God's gifts - You know what I mean ? ?

We've got 2 ( 1 for each floor) "Fireplace Extrodinaire". I find them safe and practical. They can really heat up a large area and the fire is behind glass so you can feel safe going to sleep with it on. They have catalytic converters that scrub the exhaust. Our big one will heat 2000 sf for 10 hours on 1 load of logs after it has gotten started. It's economical with the wood too.

Good morning chicken wranglers,
Paradise I also have an energy efficient fireplace with glass covers but I still like to open it up and roast a couple of wieners and marshmello's once in a while.I haven't lit the fireplace at all this winter,I just have not felt like it is needed since the weather has not been cold enough.
I did the basement in log siding,actually ment for the outside of the house and it is knotty pine"spruce",but I did the floor in a ceramic tile that mimmic's hardwood, because of the fireplace,And the ease of cleaning.
Gotta go work God Bless!

Fireplace - Multi fuel Log burner with a nice window to see the flames. No good having a lovely fire if you can't see it!!!!!

That is what I think!!!!!!! Had a pot belly stove in my back room and DH took it out for a Gas one. It is cleaner but I miss the real fire.

Oesdog

Last edited:
Speaking of fires. Have a nice down draft stove a Tempwood that was made locally. Heat the whole house with the one stove. Ok the bedroom is cool but we like it that way. all the better to cuddle. No window to watch the fire though it being sheet steel we do get a nice orange glow once and a while. Takes about 3 cord for the winter.
Had a low of 3 º in the coop. my 7.5 watt water heater in the 2 gallon bucket worked just fine but a little skim of ice did form. Nipples worked just fine.

I thought y'all abadoned the site I must of lost my subscription to the forum because I stopped getting the updates in my mailbox. Time has been tight so my coffee has been on the run. I am already 3 hours behind but just had to check in. Glad all are keeping warm and safe.

Back
Top Bottom