Coincidence right?

My son feeds his adult female pekins brewers yeast with all their feed -- he [or I] sprinkle 1 tablespoon brewers yeast for each cup of feed as a protective supplement. He did stop it once and one of his females got confused -- she recovered quickly when the brewers yeast was restarted.

You cannot over do the niacin as it is water soluble and ducks kidneys just jetisone what is not needed. My son's drake gets brewers yeast by default as he eats from the same bowl as the females. They like it by the way! So its like giving them a treat

Ducks differ in their niacin requirements on an individual basis. We know that Pekins need more than average but some other ducks too.
Recently there was a thread here about a muscovy female that needed more niacin than in her feed
That's reassuring. I'm sure Dougie will get a little boost from it, but it's good to know that it will never be too much for her

Sprightly is heavier so I wonder if that's why she needs more-
When she was about 2 weeks old she developed a very bad deficiency despite having nutritional yeast in her food. She was tripping over her feet, laying down constantly, crying to be held all the time. Her legs had started bowing and she couldn't walk, couldn't even swim without somehow only going backwards and panicking.

Thankfully I was able to fully correct it with niacin capsules, though the treatment took almost until she was an adult! I found that if I took her off treatment, she started slowly going downhill. Once she was fully grown she didn't seem to need as much anymore. Though clearly still needs extra

You'd never know she had issues now, strong runner and swimmer

Wow that’s crazy cool that it worked that fast! I think I need to add some nutritional yeast to my ducks feed, but my only concern is they are in with all the chickens, would it bother the chickens to get extra niacin? There are 36 birds in there (only 12 are ducks), and about 4-5 food stations, how much yeast do I put in?
My chickens have been eating Nutritional yeast all their lives right along with the waterfowl. Never had any problems. I mix feed in a bucket and add 2 Tab to that then put the food into their feeders. If one is having a problem then they get liquid B Complex. Nutritional yeast is very good for them all.

I think ducks, like people, can have off days. Even my pup occasionally refuses her breakfast [but thenneeds feeding early afternoon]. I wouldn't worry about occasional, non-specific, ducky down days.
That's true, I think she's had days like that
I'm more concerned when it's more prolonged phases, like she may get down and tired for a week or so, maybe longer. Now I look back and think hard on it, I think this may have happened before, but I'm not sure where her moods and health overlap

That's true, I think she's had days like that
I'm more concerned when it's more prolonged phases, like she may get down and tired for a week or so, maybe longer. Now I look back and think hard on it, I think this may have happened before, but I'm not sure where her moods and health overlap
She may be channelling you. She likely knows when her beloved human is feeling down.

Back
Top Bottom