Cold a** winters!

It was 4 F in Arkansas when I took this. No snow and no wind. I find that mine do not mind cold but they hate a cold wind. If a cold wind is blowing they seek shelter. But if it is calm, cold is no big deal.

View attachment 1917613

Mine hate to wake up to a white world. If it snows overnight they often will not leave the coop for a couple of days. Chickens don't like change. Usually though, after a couple of days a few go out exploring. I think it helps if they have something to go outside for. Grass or weeds sticking up above the snow gives them something to forage on. Mine have made trips to good forage spots, like a compost pile, in 9" of snow. It was frozen and did them no good but they still went. If all they have is a snow-covered barren run they may be more reluctant to come out.

The snow in this photo fell after they were already out for the day. Since the change was gradual they just stayed out in it. It was just below freezing.

View attachment 1917612

I give mine the option and let them decide.
All makes total sense! Give them the option and let them decide! Thank you :)

Is your run wrapped in plastic or a wind block? It's been recommended that I wrap 3 sides of my run for wind protection. Our climate is more like the OP's - shouldn't they also provide wind block?
I don't have an enclosed run so I won't have any sides to cover as far as that goes. They have a coop inside of a large fenced in area that they free range in. So if they don't like the weather, they go inside on their own! Thank you for trying to clarify that for me though! :)

Last edited:
Is your run wrapped in plastic or a wind block? It's been recommended that I wrap 3 sides of my run for wind protection. Our climate is more like the OP's - shouldn't they also provide wind block?

I don't, but my climate is different than yours. When a cold wind is blowing they are still often outside, but usually in a protected corner formed by the coop and a solid gate. Depends on which direction the wind is coming from.

Southern Maine here - also in the cold a** winter club.

First winter with chickens. I have a small coop that was a pre-fab purchase from TSC. It is located inside a good size covered poultry pen. We have 5 hens and a rooster (Silver laced wyandottes, a buff orpington, and araucanas).

I have a radiant heat panel thing that i bought in case it gets really cold (but i am not sure what counts as cold enough to use it?). I also have a heated waterer. They have a covered run with sand, off the south side of the house, so the house protects part of it and they get some decent sunlight.

As far as inside the coop goes, I was thinking of using some pine shavings (currently just sand). I've heard of deep litter method but dont really know how that can work when their roost bars only have about 2" of clearance from the poop tray. (if things go well this winter, a shed style coop is on our to do list) I removed the nest box dividers inside the pen (not laying yet and they were just sleeping in them) and that is a decent area to put heater I believe - it would be perpendicular to the roost bars - i would probably leave the sand in that section just to reduce any sort of fire risk.

For the run i was thinking of putting down some alfalfa periodically for them to scratch at. Possibly wrapping 1 side of the run to block wind? (and if so, what do you use? clear tarp?)

If you've read all that, then thank you! Any advice and suggestions would be very welcome. Planning a trip for Thanksgiving and I'm already nervous enough about the impending cold weather, not to mention first time being away from the chickens overnight.

My birds are fine in cold, but dislike snow. If it's snowing during the day but not a howling wind, they will be out. If they wake up to a white world, they don't want to walk out in it.
My coop and run are protected from wind and blowing snow in winter, not heated, and the birds are fine.
Ventilation is most important!
I do prefer breeds with small combs and wattles, especially the roosters, who are more likely to have problems with frostbite.
Have enough space for them, so when they are inside because of weather, or whatever, they aren't overcrowded.
Mary

We don't have chickens yet. We live in Michigan which has cold winter's. We wanted to know if we could have a coop in our basement with a heat lamp, or is that just insane? And what is the minimum number that we should have?

Welcome!
Yes, a basement coop is nuts! Chicks inside for two weeks can be too much.
Chickens, especially the more cold hardy breeds, do just fine without extra heat here. They need shelter from wind and weather, heated waterers, and predator protection.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom