Cold Brooder!

Quote:
Exactly.

And you don't want to put a 250W bulb in a socket rated for 100W. Not because it won't fit, but because the wire will not be rated (thick enough) to transmit that much energy without becoming a fire hazard.

Okay...apparently I spoke way too soon! I put a thermometer in there (I couldn't find one earlier) on the pine shavings directly under the light and put the lid on top with just a little crack for air circulation. I just checked and it's registering at 105! I guess you guys were right about those infrared lights. It really didn't feel warm enough at all, but I guess it's nice and toasty once you've been under the light for a while. I opened the lid some more to see if it cools down, but it seems the problem has solved itself. Now I'm ready for my babies! Thanks, guys!

Where did you find a 100 watt red light? I looked everywhere 'round these parts and people looked at me like I was nuts! I had my first babies in a plastic storage container/brooder last year, and I put the big heat lamp too close, and burned the wood lid, and melted the plastic on the side of the container. (yes, before you ask, I'm a natural blonde
lau.gif
) Just be careful you don't put it too close. I suffer from allergies, so I kept mine in the garage last year, but the 3 I have right now, are in the house, I got them in an aquarium (of all things) and I'm using paper towels instead of the wood shavings. I change the paper towels out twice a day, and I've not had any problems. Last year, I didn't really know what I was doing, and put these 5 RIR chicks in a dog kennel, filled with straw in my bedroom. It only lasted 1 day. I couldn't breathe, and my hubby wanted to kill me!
lau.gif
and the worst part, the chicks could slip between the bars in the kennel and were loose in our room! Let me know what you do. Good Luck!

I wouldn't worry too much about measuring the exact temperature, a thermometer isn't even required. If the chicks are huddling under the light move it a little lower. If they are all avoiding it, raise it up a little higher. That's it.

It's kind of like a campfire. You're not trying to heat the entire outdoors. If you're cold you move closer to the fire. When you get too warm you move away. The chicks do the same thing.

True Story! You'll go nuts worryin' about the temp if you put a thermometer in there. Just observe their behavior like Mac says.
smile.png

Quote:

Last edited by a moderator:
gonzo&hispeeps :

Where did you find a 100 watt red light?

The Petsmart here had all different sizes, including 100 watt, in their lizard section.​

Back
Top Bottom