Cold chicken

JosiesMom

Chirping
Apr 9, 2019
When I leave in the morning and get home at night it is dark, the chickens are in bed obviously. Last night when I went in to check their water and collect eggs, I was short one chicken. I found her outside in their run laying next to a feeding bowl, on her side and frigidly cold. Her body as well as her legs and feet were very cold. I thought she was died, but when I picked her up, she was breathing. I brought her into the house, wrapped her in a blanket and snuggled her all night. It took several hours for her legs to even begin to warm up. This morning she opened her eyes and was a bit responsive to sounds. If I lift her up onto her legs, she will stand for about 30 seconds and slowing sinks down to lay down. She won't take water and made a slight motion to try to eat a couple of crumbs of food. I am not sure what else I should do for her. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She is a 3 year old Barred Rock.

It is hard to know if she has become ill, hurt or picked on, or kept from food and water, or even afraid to go inside the coop. Keep trying to get her to take some fluids from a small scoop or cup held up to the beak. Mix some watery chicken feed, making a mush and add a little egg. Fluids should be given first though. Offer every couple of hours. Poultry NutriDrench or other electrolytes with vitamins would be good for a few days. Look her over for any injuries or cuts. Can she stand, or is one leg weaker than the other? Feel of her crop to see if it is empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy. Look her skin over for mites or lice, especially under her belly and vent. Is her breastbone more prominent than usual or has she lost weight? What do her poops look like? I would keep her inside and warm until she is more responsive.

It is hard to know if she has become ill, hurt or picked on, or kept from food and water, or even afraid to go inside the coop. Keep trying to get her to take some fluids from a small scoop or cup held up to the beak. Mix some watery chicken feed, making a mush and add a little egg. Fluids should be given first though. Offer every couple of hours. Poultry NutriDrench or other electrolytes with vitamins would be good for a few days. Look her over for any injuries or cuts. Can she stand, or is one leg weaker than the other? Feel of her crop to see if it is empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy. Look her skin over for mites or lice, especially under her belly and vent. Is her breastbone more prominent than usual or has she lost weight? What do her poops look like? I would keep her inside and warm until she is more responsive.

I continue to work on the fluids, she is totally not interested. She can stand- not for long, her crop feels hard and she has not pooped since she has been inside. Just seems to rest mostly, keeping her in a box in the bathroom.

You may want to use a clean or gloved finger inserted into her vent about 2 inches to feel for a stuck egg or obstruction which is blocking her from pooping. Keep her very warm and try to get her drinking. That is about all I know to do if a vet is not available. I hope she gets better.

If she's not able to take fluids on her own, then you can tube or syringe fluids into her.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Not pooping at all since inside it not a good sign. Work on the fluids, see if she will eat a few chunks of hardened coconut oil to help with the hard crop. Fluids and the oil may help get things moving, but sounds like her system may have shut down.
She is now drinking water if we hold her by the bowl of water. We got NutriDrench down her last night and today she eat some coconut oil. There is no solid poop, but slightly soiled fluid on her towel.

Back
Top Bottom