Cold chickens!(Help)

how cold is it ? they can do pretty well in cold temps, mine seen to do well until it gets below 10 degrees then I use a heat lamp at night, brings the temp up to a toasty 15 degrees, lol. do you have a thick layer of betting on the coop floor? will help them to stay warm, you can give them some warm mash/oatmeal ect.. Give them some electrolyte solution in their water, will help them get stronger. is your coop enclosed? look for any drafty areas and cover them up. do you give them food all day, they need that and fresh water.

Quote:
Its been in the 30's i have bedding on the floor and all of this. I was thinking it might be where they stay in the run all day with 6in. of snow.

My chickens do fine locked in the coop with no heater at -19F. They would think 30F is like a summer holiday right now. Sounds like something possibly more serious...

remove the snow from the run, they don't like snow on their feet, then throw down some hay for them to stand on while out in the run. So, seems like the problem is that you need to spoil them even more, you know chickens demand to be spoiled!

I agree 30 degrees is warm around here.

Yes remove the snow from the run and maybe create an area that is roofed with a tarp. 30 is fine if not windy. You could create a windbreak by putting plastic around part of the run. I like deep straw for a warmer bedding.

I also agree that 30 is quite warm!! I have 4 month old pullets, and they are fine going out at 20 degrees. I try to shovel at least a small area for them to walk around outside.

Back
Top Bottom