Cold chickens? (pics)

Riparian

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
Ontario Canada
Ive been letting my flock roam again since we have been getting some half decent weather lately. I used to let them out every day, all day. Then it got too cold and the snow got too deep. I had two hawk attacks in two days, so I started keeping them "cooped" up during the day.
big_smile.png

The temperature was -10 degrees when these pictures were taken. There was no wind, which is why they look so happy to be outside. My chickens hate wind.

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

They have been doing well in my unisulated shed. I have a 250 watt heat lamp on their 10 gallon waterer, and a small heat lamp over part of the roost. Some chickens dont have acces to the roost lamp, but some choose to roost away from it.

Egg production hasent slowed down a bit. there is two large windows with one facing south that really helps to heat up the coop during the day.

My two roos are clashing more often now, and some hens are getting tattered feathers from being mated with so often.

Everthing seems fine though. some small bits of frostbite on my roosters but it dosent look serious. They are amazingly adaptable creatures.

The battle against the cold is half over. Soon, they will be free spirits once again, free to destroy my lawn and garden.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom