Cold eggs

Pics
Hmm, I never thought about having to refrigerate them if they are cold when I bring them in. I only refrigerate them if I accidentally get them wet or crack them in my pocket. Lol I cook and eat them all and never get sick. How can you tell if an egg is frozen without cracking it open?

I am so happy my duck is indoor and all eggs are room temperature... Except the one I came home to which was egg number 2 for the day (first and only time that happened so far-6/7 months old) when she was sitting on her egg. As soon as she saw her humans home, she hopped up for us to grab the egg. That one was quite hot! She was only sitting on her egg to guard it because she thinks her eggs are her little presents to us!!! She's certainly not broody, she was just waiting for us to collect an unharmed egg!!! :D

U R so lucky! You have no idea how lucky U R! Here in AU we are all melting, and U R worrying about cold eggs. Wow!
All a matter of perspective! When you experience 4-6 months of continuous cold, rainy, windy, snowy weather 'melting' sounds like a blessing! :D #ColdinIdaho!

Chick - N - Fun. Love the tutu. My own chickens must be wanting something similar. Hard to get them off the roost even for warm food. Snow, ice and now 15 degrees - I think they all want wellies as a minimum.
Strangely enough, the Rooster does venture forth, but none of the hens will leave the coop even when it was sunny and mild by comparison. Seems they hate snow.

Tough - as we now expect a full week of it in the Pacific Northwest.

If their water isn't frozen when I collect eggs, and it's been out there longer than their egg, the egg is frozen either. Cold yes, not frozen. Only about 3 eggs this winter frozen. My 4 birds lay 4 eggs most days. About one day every other week no eggs for that day.

Quote: I just wish there was a way to know for sure when they freeze or have hairline cracks.
Idea: Maybe leave a thermometer near where the egg will be laid- ? I had eggs by my side door that has a gap under it and those eggs even inside froze with that freezing cold we had a couple weeks ago.

How can you tell if an egg is frozen without cracking it open?
Someone earlier in this t bh read demonstrated using candling to see invisible hairline cracks. Great idea. And someone else pointed out that as long as they aren't cracked they are safe but may have a different texture. Perfect for scrambling and baking.

Back
Top Bottom