Cold Eggs

Discussion in 'Geese' started by kristen2678, Feb 19, 2015.

1. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    It's still very cold here in southern Maine. Single digits overnight, teens and some twenties during the day. My dewlap toulouse has been laying for nearly 3 weeks. I've seen her lay at night and in the morning. All of the eggs I've collected from the nest are chilled, but not frozen/cracked. She has them buried in a thick nest of straw. I would like to start leaving eggs for her, but I'm not certain they would be viable at these temps. I've considered collecting them and holding them inside until I have a number of them, but if they were laid the night before and not sat on, I'm not sure that will solve the problem.

Thoughts about leaving eggs out at these temps?

2. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Leaving eggs out in those temps will freeze them.

3. fordguy

fordguy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2007
    I have the same problem - is this to say you cannot breed geese naturally in this cold weather? I doubt that is correct.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They will continue to lay up into May so just wait it out till the weather moderates you'll get a broody and gosling then. My goose started laying in late feb last year I took her eggs until April she laid 8 then went broody last of April perfect time for brooding and hatching. They know what they are doing.

5. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    not that you can't breed geese in cold climates. Just wait till weather moderates. I collected eggs and incubated them. Once it warmed up I let the geese keep anymore they laid. Then they went broody and hatched them on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by